New or Used RODI system? Which would u buy

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is "Buckeye Hydro" is that a RODI company?

Lol. Yep - we've been serving the marine aquarium trade for over 20 years. We were a Reef Central sponsor for most of that time, and about a year ago switched to R2R sponsorship. Buckeye Hydro is a water treatment company - so we don't sell fish/corals/lights and the like. About half of our work is commercial - water treatment for public aquariums, zoo's, manufacturing facilities, hospitals and the like. Water softeners, media tanks for treating chlorine, chloramine, iron, manganese, sediment etc, big RO and RODI and DI systems, etc. The other half of our business is the smaller residential-scale RO and RODI systems and filtration used in the marine and freshwater aquarium trade, and residential whole-house and undersink units.

Russ

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add another membranes and replace the old membrane also
Unfortunately, "adding another membrane" in this hobby typically means blindly plumbing in a second membrane - in series. This is common on commercial RO systems, but those systems are run at higher pressures and require 0 gpg feedwater hardness - meaning a water softener. Over-restricting a low pressure residential RO system without adequate hardness treatment - and calling it a "water saving" approach always makes me roll my eyes. You'll not see this done by anyone in the know in the water treatment business. Neither water treatment company that are prominent in serving your hobby (Buckeye Hydro and another company in Tempe Arizona you know do it).

Russ

Ray668

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well adding a second membrane and a pressure pump reduced my di consumption in half so I guess it is all about what works

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure is. You have multiple variables at play there. Feedwater quality, membrane life, and recovery% are other issues at play as well.

OP
OP
Super Fly

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so I recvd the BRS rodi last night and connected it to my booster pump and after flushing it for an hour hastily made some water this morning but was kind of disappointed... there was definitely less waste however wasn't that much faster in production than the compact Aquatic Life Buddie that it replaced. I'll try again tonight and see.

Question - this time I connected a PSI gauge (as per BRS video) to monitor water pressure and help determining when to replace cartridges. The RODI is connected to a booster pump and when the RODI is initially turned on the PSI goes over 100 for maybe 5-10 seconds then settles down to around 95-98 PSI... is it normal/ok for the PSI to go this high when RODI is first turned on? Also is 95-98 PSI ok (seems high to me)?

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you plumb the booster pump in AFTER all the prefilters? If so, you're ok. If not, you need to turn that pump pressure down. If the booster pump is an Aquatec 8800, adjusting the pressure will take you all of about 10 seconds.

Russ

OP
OP
Super Fly

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you plumb the booster pump in AFTER all the prefilters? If so, you're ok. If not, you need to turn that pump pressure down. If the booster pump is an Aquatec 8800, adjusting the pressure will take you all of about 10 seconds.

Russ
Ok, thanks. Yes, it's plumbed after prefilters and before membrane as per your instruction. Was concerned the gauge may burst when pressure went above 100 during RODI startup

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When installing a pressure gauge, select a gauge with a range such that the expected pressure is near the center of the gauge's range. If putting a gauge just downstream of a pressure pump, use a liquid filled gauge.

Russ

OP
OP
Super Fly

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had no idea pressure gauge went higher, BRS only sells up to 100psi... Now I see on Amazon gauges up to 150 psi... do u think I should replace my current gauge to higher reading?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back