New or Used RODI system? Which would u buy

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to upgrade my RODI to higher capacity with less waste-to-clean-water ratio. I buy mostly used equipment to save $ in this hobby however I'm struggling about not knowing how much life may be left on a used RODI system's membrane/cartridges. Would hate to potentially spend more $ having to replace cartridges/membrane sooner with a used unit vs just buying a brand new RODI and not having to deal with used cartridges/membrane.

Any thoughts?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to upgrade my RODI to higher capacity with less waste-to-clean-water ratio. I buy mostly used equipment to save $ in this hobby however I'm struggling about not knowing how much life may be left on a used RODI system's membrane/cartridges. Would hate to potentially spend more $ having to replace cartridges/membrane sooner with a used unit vs just buying a brand new RODI and not having to deal with used cartridges/membrane.

Any thoughts?

Taking someone's word on the cartridge life is iffy. How much is the used system?

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would replace the cartridges on the unit you have now. You can save money using the reusable cartridge and loading you own Di color changing resin. I agree with ryeguyy84, add a second membrane which will help reduce your waste water and increase your GPD

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above only if the new unit provides more canisters, TDS meter, pressure gauge if the old unit didn't have it and the price is very cheap. Factoring the cost of new membrane, pre sediment filter, carbon blocks and DI resin would be the deciding factor.

OP
OP
Super Fly

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking someone's word on the cartridge life is iffy. How much is the used system?
sadly in this day and age I would have to agree.
$120 for Spectrapure CSPDI 90 gpd... when I asked whether the cartridges/membrane were new, seller 1st responded "used but practically like new" then later changed response to "new". Which made me suspicious.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sadly in this day and age I would have to agree.
$120 for Spectrapure CSPDI 90 gpd... when I asked whether the cartridges/membrane were new, seller 1st responded "used but practically like new" then later changed response to "new". Which made me suspicious.

That's a 4 stage, right?
What unit do you have now?

OP
OP
Super Fly

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not just upgrade your current? if your water pressure is high enough you can add a second membrane or extra filter housings
it's too small (50gpd) that I was using with previous tank prior to upgrading tank. Besides, even with higher capacity gpd, this brand has too high waste-to-clean-water ratio (5-1)... would like to waste less water and save $ on water bill too.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. Aquatic Life RO Buddie 50 gpd w DI resin and the smart booster pump.

Well thats a tough one. By the time you bought the new cartridges for the Spectrapure, you would be pushing $200. A new 4 stage BRS unit runs around $150. The only thing is it's lacking TDS meter and pressure gauge. Those could be added later. The new BRS unit comes with all the cartridges, shipped free.

OP
OP
Super Fly

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your water pressure is high enough you can add a second membrane or extra filter housings
Wait, so if I add a 2nd membrane, it'll result in less waste water? If so, I'm willing to give it a try...Anyone have a diagram/instruction where the 2nd membrane should be installed to a RODI system?

OP
OP
Super Fly

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thats a tough one. By the time you bought the new cartridges for the Spectrapure, you would be pushing $200. A new 4 stage BRS unit runs around $150. The only thing is it's lacking TDS meter and pressure gauge. Those could be added later. The new BRS unit comes with all the cartridges, shipped free.
Thus my struggle.
I already have TDS gauge and booster pump, would only need to add pressure gauge ($12). Was eyeing the $200 BRS 150gpd that has 1.5-1 waste-to-clean-water ratio

OP
OP
Super Fly

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When buying used RODI, I factor in replacement of membrane and all filters. Unless you have one of those compact rodi, then it's better to upgrade your existing unit as mentioned above.
I would agree, was hoping otherwise though. I do have a compact rodi, so looks like I'm going shopping. Thx everyone!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just pulled the trigger on BRS rodi. Can anyone pls tell me where the pressure gauge should be located/installed in the rodi?

Should be on the incoming line to the unit from the house water line. That would tell you how much pressure is going to the unit.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not just upgrade your current? if your water pressure is high enough you can add a second membrane or extra filter housings

I would replace the cartridges on the unit you have now. You can save money using the reusable cartridge and loading you own Di color changing resin. I agree with ryeguyy84, add a second membrane which will help reduce your waste water and increase your GPD

Wait, so if I add a 2nd membrane, it'll result in less waste water? If so, I'm willing to give it a try...Anyone have a diagram/instruction where the 2nd membrane should be installed to a RODI system?

incorrect. adding an additional membrane does not decrease waste.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just pulled the trigger on BRS rodi. Can anyone pls tell me where the pressure gauge should be located/installed in the rodi?

any decent unit will have the pressure gauge installed in the membrane canister.

ryeguyy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why wouldn't a second pass lower the waste water? you're taking the waste water that would have gone down the drain and running it through a second membrane.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back