New Red Sea Reefer 350!

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I'm excited to share that I'm going to be setting up a brand new tank for the first time in 2 1/2 years, and it's arriving tomorrow! Will update with pictures as build progresses.

Current build is
4x AI prime HDs in hanging array (will be adding 1-2x reefbrites or reefbreeders bars for additional PAR as needed as aim for this tank is mixed reef)
ReefOctopus 110s skimmer
Sicce SDC 6.0 return pump
2x Eheim Jager 150w
Inkbird controller
3x Kamoer X1 PRO dosing pumps
Red Sea dosing lines and brackets
3 bay acrylic dosing container
Maxspect Gyre XF330 (have additional 1 on hand if flow dictates necessity)
Maxspect WiFi controller
IceCap battery backup for gyres
ATO (TBA haven't decided if I want to stick with duettos/autoaqua or upgrade to tunze)
Red Sea LocLine RFGs
2x ADJ PC-100A switchable power strips

I'm sure there's a ton of extra little items I've missed, but needless to say I'm excited and I can't wait to watch it mature

Tank will be started with dry rock and fiji pink sand, but will be seeded with live rock rubble and live sand from aquabiomics in short time.

OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank arrived today! Stand and tank are on and built, and about 75% of the wiring is done.

Very proud of how it's coming out so far.

Everything in the right cabinet is wired as of this picture
20220329_221908.jpg

20220329_222440.jpg

All thats left is run the return pump controller and power, Inkbird and heaters, and dosing lines.

Making it a point for this tank to be gorgeous to look at, even in its concealed areas

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wiring is almost finished. Just have to run the inkbird + heaters and return pump to controller line and it's done and ready to fill

Everything is wired in a way that equipment can be released from accessible ties while in place to remove and clean.

Hanging light array I'm building is almost done. Just need to mock up for spacing, mark, drill, and paint.

20220331_124439.jpg

OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is wired, lighting array is up (waiting to install last light it's on coral QT atm). In place and level.

Next step, sand, scape, and give her some life
20220401_232158.jpg
20220401_233424.jpg
20220401_233433.jpg
20220401_233437.jpg
20220401_233439.jpg
20220401_233444.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some floss in the sump to help clear everything up. And she's almost there.

Was shooting for a mound/reef barrier style scape, with a ton of horizontal space leaving almost every rock so its orientation has around 75% of it exposed for light and placement and a couple peaks for some super high light, high flow corals.

Also gave large sand areas for sand bed corals, and a 2" barrier for matinence and cleaning.

Despite the inside of the rockwork being much more open than it appears just to ensure adequate waterflow I'm going to be adding a powerhead on a lower flow pulse about 1/3 up the scape, oriented to blow through the scape to keep the caves from developing dead spots.

And to fill in with some actinic for some pop and glow, adding a reef brite blue bar to help boost par for the higher placement, higher light corals.
20220402_205006.jpg
20220402_205158.jpg
20220402_205206.jpg

OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lookin good! I bet your excited!
Thank you, I apprecite it!

Im Super excited.

Can't wait to see it with the final bits of equipment on.

CWT blackout ATO reservoir came today, my Tunze 3155 will be here tomorrow.

Adding a reefbrite (either pro or xho) in acticnic for supplemental lighting, and adding a reefbreeders rpm-v2 on a low flow pulse in the lower regions of the tank aimed at the rock work to ensure adequate flow makes its way through the caves, tunnels, and rock work.

OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a few alterations to the design.

Tank reads like it's processing 1ppm of ammonia out in 24hrs (Woo-hoo turbostart 900).

Going to add some purple and pink helix bottled corraline as I myself love corraline, and my prior experience with it was phenomenal resulting in absolutely blanketed corraline covered rock in another tank that I have yet to experience a single bit of algae on, even with the nature of that tank being elevated nutrients, with the rock being covered in just mere 2-3 months.

Added a VCA RFG in aimed to the back wall.
Changing lighting system to a T5 hybrid with 2 B+ and 2 C+ and going to throw the primes in the middle as a "spectral boost" to target Violet, Royal, and Blue as I want. Bulbs and all will be here Thursday. Comes out marginally more than the single reefbrite, but in a manner that I can tailor my spectrum better.
Got the RPM v2 in, decided I didn't like the flow as it caused 1/4 of the tank to be ultra turbulent in an ultrawide flow patten and messed also with the gyre return pattern. So I just threw my other XF 330 on the opposite end, scheduled on random mode, with gyre B in anti-sync. Combined with the RFGs the flow in this tank is now 100% random. The gyre schedule moves a nice moderate turbulent section across the rockscape. And the flow reflects off the back wall and adds to the randomization.

ATO is in, and aside from the loud screeching as im adjusting return and all its working great, I know I can turn the alarm off, but I keep it for the less "tank inclined" people in my house because they will know something is wrong lol.

20220409_171810.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, you are really taking your time and selecting quality parts for your tank. Your scape is similar to mine in my XL300 tank.

Attachments

• 20220406_141842.jpg
    20220406_141842.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, you are really taking your time and selecting quality parts for your tank. Your scape is similar to mine in my XL300 tank.
I appreciate it!

I'm taking every painful lesson I have learned over the years and trying to rectify it in this tank haha.

And your scape looks awesome! I love mound style scapes. They look so much more natural to me than the super "designed" scapes.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it!

I'm taking every painful lesson I have learned over the years and trying to rectify it in this tank haha.

And your scape looks awesome! I love mound style scapes. They look so much more natural to me than the super "designed" scapes.
Totally agree and when yours is covered in coral it will look like a natural reef. I wish I had your reefing skills. I'm just a novice squirrel trying to find a nut in this hobby.

OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup looks fantastic! Nice job!
Thanks a ton!

Totally agree and when yours is covered in coral it will look like a natural reef. I wish I had your reefing skills. I'm just a novice squirrel trying to find a nut in this hobby.
Too flattering haha.
I'm still learning myself, I'm only about 5 years in. I've just learned alot because I ran into practically every single problem imaginable and worked my way through solving them though hours upon hours of studying and reading. Despite the problems, I'm glad they happened because it altered my approach when I was new, slowed me down, made me much more methodical, and gave me some necessary experience on identifications, treatments, and solutions to -most- issues.

Now, I just foster the biome, build the food web, take care of the microfauna, watch my macro nutrients and elements, and everything else falls into place.

It helps to have some cool gadgets and little helping hands like my own personal par meter and some techniques like inducing some air into a pump to watch how the microbubbles move to visualize flow.

But yes, I'm super excited to see it grown out. I'm going to be doing a LPS dominant mixed reef.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a ton!

Too flattering haha.
I'm still learning myself, I'm only about 5 years in. I've just learned alot because I ran into practically every single problem imaginable and worked my way through solving them though hours upon hours of studying and reading. Despite the problems, I'm glad they happened because it altered my approach when I was new, slowed me down, made me much more methodical, and gave me some necessary experience on identifications, treatments, and solutions to -most- issues.

Now, I just foster the biome, build the food web, take care of the microfauna, watch my macro nutrients and elements, and everything else falls into place.

It helps to have some cool gadgets and little helping hands like my own personal par meter and some techniques like inducing some air into a pump to watch how the microbubbles move to visualize flow.
I totally agree with the foster the biome I'm totally moving toward completely natural approach and avoiding chemicals.

OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with the foster the biome I'm totally moving toward completely natural approach and avoiding chemicals.
I've cut out essentially 100% of any non-necessary additive that doesn't directly benefit the food web or microbiome.

My tanks now survive on bacterias and zoos (I dose MB7, MB clean, PNS substrate sauce, PNS probio, and PNS yellow snow). They also get live phyto from a guy I know, 8 strain blends, and some nice healthy beneficial copepods and amphipods. On top of nutrient management and mineral stability the tanks stay rock solid now.

I generally don't see much if any nuisance algae anymore, and my corals and inhabitants respond very well.

So that's good enough for me.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've cut out essentially 100% of any non-necessary additive that doesn't directly benefit the food web or microbiome.

My tanks now survive on bacterias and zoos (I dose MB7, MB clean, PNS substrate sauce, PNS probio, and PNS yellow snow). They also get live phyto from a guy I know, 8 strain blends, and some nice healthy beneficial copepods and amphipods. On top of nutrient management and mineral stability the tanks stay rock solid now.

I generally don't see much if any nuisance algae anymore, and my corals and inhabitants respond very well.

So that's good enough for me.
I'm a big proponent of PNS products too for my tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back