New Red Sea Reefer 350!

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks now survive on bacterias and zoos (I dose MB7, MB clean, PNS substrate sauce, PNS probio, and PNS yellow snow). They also get live phyto from a guy I know, 8 strain blends, and some nice healthy beneficial copepods and amphipods. On top of nutrient management and mineral stability the tanks stay rock solid now.
Holy moly, an 8-strain phyto blend? That's pretty awesome haha.

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any benefit from dosing the substrate sauce in an established tank if I'm already dosing the primary bacteria product?
Substrate Sauce is made with a measured excess of phosphate (from dipotassium phosphate). This is meant to support microbial growth during cycling, as Sauce is meant to be a cycling product. However, I've seen people use it in established tanks as a means of replenishing depleted phosphate levels. I suppose this is the intention of some individuals who are elevating phosphate as part of their strategy for battling dinos; in that case you get a boost from that, as well as an extra bacterial species to throw at the dinos (Sauce contains two PNSB species, Rhodopseudomonas palustris and Rhodospirillum rubrum, whereas ProBio just contains R. palustris).

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Substrate Sauce is made with a measured excess of phosphate (from dipotassium phosphate). This is meant to support microbial growth during cycling, as Sauce is meant to be a cycling product. However, I've seen people use it in established tanks as a means of replenishing depleted phosphate levels. I suppose this is the intention of some individuals who are elevating phosphate as part of their strategy for battling dinos; in that case you get a boost from that, as well as an extra bacterial species to throw at the dinos (Sauce contains two PNSB species, Rhodopseudomonas palustris and Rhodospirillum rubrum, whereas ProBio just contains R. palustris).
Do you see better results from daily small doses or weekly full dose? I'm doing half dose twice a week.

OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy moly, an 8-strain phyto blend? That's pretty awesome haha.
Yessir!
Dunaliella, Chorella, Nannochloris, Nannochlorapsis, Tetraselmis, Isocysis, G.G. Diatom, P.S. diatom

Is there any benefit from dosing the substrate sauce in an established tank if I'm already dosing the primary bacteria product?
Substrate sauce I primary use in cycling, and dose sparingly as it can raise phosphates. I primarily dose Probio, and when I use it, it's for helping replenish the Rhodospirillum rubrum.
Nailed it

Looking good!
Thank you! I appreciate it.
Do you see better results from daily small doses or weekly full dose? I'm doing half dose twice a week.
I don't particularly schedule substrate sauce the same way I do with probio and yellosno. Those I dose more regularly, and occasionally dose the substrate sauce just to help keep the population beefed up. Once established, the bacteria should sustain itself given its able to obtain vitamin B if I recall.

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're using it as a live coral food/probiotic, then small frequent doses. If you're using it in the hope of seeding (to consume organics or nutrients, for example), then larger doses, preferably directly onto a suitable anaerobic biomedium.

OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New T5/LED hybrid came yesterday, so I preformed a test fit and it looks phenomenal.

Going to be running 2 ATI C+ & 2 ATI B+

Going to build my prime array inside to boost specific spectrum and PAR as I see fit.

Effectively switching from LEDs as primary and other options as supplemental to T5 primary and LEDs as supplemental.

T5 bulbs and new lenses for my primes will be here today.

Screen lid will also be here today.

She's almost done :grinning-face-with-big-eyes:

SmartSelect_20220415-105835_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the mockup got the bulbs in and....One coral + was defective :crying-face:

Hit up BRS and no questions asked, had one already shipped out in just 30 minutes. A+ customer service there BRS.

Ran to the LFS, snagged a purple plus to throw in as I have quite a bit of PAR to spare (was running at 180PAR just under surface with 2 bulbs and none of the supplemental LEDs). And I actually like the spectrum more lol.

Gonna get the lenses for the AIs in here shortly, and get it all tidied up.

Gonna have the AIs handle ramp. I usually run 12hr spectrums. So AIs will ramp up from 9am-12pm, then ramp down to supplemental level as T5s come on, then at 6pm-9pm T5s will ramp back up, and then ramp back down to off.

Beyond satisfied with the results.

20220415_162424.jpg

OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took PAR 8" in tank

OOF. After correction factor of 1.15 I'm at a brisk 374 PAR :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Overshot it by a tad.

Might rip a Blue + for an actinic
20220415_191302.jpg

OP
OP
S

SoSublime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks still going through its motions. Added some true live sand (from the ocean, not bagged "live sand"!) about 2-3 weeks ago and the rapid change visually was quite astonishing.
Added the sand right around the diatom bloom start, The next day they were all gone, and has since return but very very minor, only slight brown tint to the rock. Also in short order, my rocks began developing the normal white to green hue, which on my last dry rock tanks took much, much longer to get to this stage. Either way, no complaints. Phosphates aren't detectable but obviously growing some algaes so I know they're there, and nitrates are staying pretty rock solid around 12ppm week over week.

Upgraded my skimmer today to the RSK 600 though as I set up a reefer 170 for my girlfriend. So she gets my "old" ReefOctopus 110sss, and I get my fancy new toy.

20220511_175042.jpg

Back