New Red Sea Reefer G2 - Does this look right?

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a tank that overhangs the front of the stand. I am doing a leak test and leveling and the amount of over hang in the front makes me nervous. I get that the front doors will be there, but unlikely they would provide any support. I have the back glass of tank flush against the back side of stand....but should I move the tank back a little? Any advice for those familiar with red sea tanks would be appreciated.

IMG_4550.png

IMG_4551.png

IMG_4552.png

IMG_4553.png

MelancholyBlenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is how Red Sea makes their tanks. Bigger models now have a metal lip to hold the front so it still looks as if its floating but the smaller versions are still like you see.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen that this is how the tank is suppose to be. I dont personally own one but have read it from several users i believe. I would use the picture with the measurement and contact red sea to double check that is actually within there tolerance i am sure they would be happy to get a customer queston besides a seal failure like they normally do....is this a brand new tank that you just received?

OP
OP
Z Burn's Reefing

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen that this is how the tank is suppose to be. I dont personally own one but have read it from several users i believe. I would use the picture with the measurement and contact red sea to double check that is actually within there tolerance i am sure they would be happy to get a customer queston besides a seal failure like they normally do....is this a brand new tank that you just received?
Yes, brand new tank, just setting up out of the box.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s how it is. When I first setup mine I too freaked out. My friend who had got one before , assured me that it fine and also informed me that he too was very concerned in the beginning and found out later that’s how it is made. The front glass wall floats

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine and normal. If you're not convinced by the amount then try the doors on and make sure it sits flush. The doors will have some adjustment as well.

Lots has been said about the overhang being the cause of failures but I don't buy it. The weight of the front pane plus any lost support is negligible compared to the weight of water. Just make sure you spend time adjusting the feet for even load distribution.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back