OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make custom lids for aquariums and have standard templates for a lot of manufacturers. I provided no measurements- just selected the feed door access point, and that was it. They are a reef2reef sponsor and you should check out their site. The cost was 285 dollars plus shipping, which is not cheap by any means but like most other things you get what you pay for.

Wow! That lid looks so good! So much better than you usal DIY.... can I ask how much something like this cost? Was it a special order or do they sell these specifically for the Red Sea Reefers?

OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure it will grow chaeto when there are some nutrients for it to feed on but I would expect it to die off for now. Chaeto loves and needs lots of nutrients and with a very bright light and high flow it can grow fast enough to remove all NO3 and PO4. I harvest 5 gallons every two weeks and dose PNO3 and Seachem Phosphorus

I started with a baseball sized piece that is now more than volleyball sized a few weeks later. This tank was cycled with uncured live rock so there are plenty of nutrients for it.

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome looking tank ill be following love the pix keep them coming. Those lights are awesome how is the disco effect with them? Im thinking about going with something like this for a 120gal in the planning stages. great job on all of it. how was the 8020 to work with im going to look into ordering to make a stand. Any good links for places online to order from?

OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome looking tank ill be following love the pix keep them coming. Those lights are awesome how is the disco effect with them? Im thinking about going with something like this for a 120gal in the planning stages. great job on all of it. how was the 8020 to work with im going to look into ordering to make a stand. Any good links for places online to order from?
Thanks for the comments! So far I am happy with the Orpheks but will wait to see how they grow coral before I sign off on them. I wouldn't call it disco, but the shimmer is much busier than the 1 Kessil that I run on my other tank. You cannot see individual colors on the sand bed like some other lights that use spread out multi-color leds like the Orphek. I have an Apogee SQ 520 par meter and I will take some PAR measurements soon and will post the results.

I ordered the 8020 parts precut from 8020.net and it was super easy to get everything together. I would think that building a stand out of 8020 would cost way too much. Having a local fabricator weld a steel square tube stand and having it powder coated would probably cost less and look better imo.

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments! So far I am happy with the Orpheks but will wait to see how they grow coral before I sign off on them. I wouldn't call it disco, but the shimmer is much busier than the 1 Kessil that I run on my other tank. You cannot see individual colors on the sand bed like some other lights that use spread out multi-color leds like the Orphek. I have an Apogee SQ 520 par meter and I will take some PAR measurements soon and will post the results.

I ordered the 8020 parts precut from 8020.net and it was super easy to get everything together. I would think that building a stand out of 8020 would cost way too much. Having a local fabricator weld a steel square tube stand and having it powder coated would probably cost less and look better imo.
THANKS!! yeah I may just go the square tube route I know a guy we use at work that wouldn't have an issue doing something like that. ill just have to see. I want to keep the stand as light as possible. Glad to hear no separate colors on the sand from light. I have a zetlight 6800 and its pretty good on the mixing of colors. Every so often I can catch a lil red and green standing out but really not bad at all. Unfortunately its not quite enough for 4 ft x2 ft tank. ill probably move it on to a frag tank after I get the 120 started. Thank you again cant wait for updates.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F12596DD-F515-4A9B-8E0E-6DBDE6F8F489.jpeg

BADC8930-3C65-4B9F-ACAC-D71470FAE845.jpeg

Well, the little light grows chaeto. I adjusted the ballast to full power last night to see if I can get even more growth. Nitrates are still around 20 ppm and I am planning a 50 gallon water change today to try and lower them some more. I also added a Marine Pure ceramic block for some bio filter headroom as they have worked really well in my other tank. I am also running a phosphate absorbing pad that has helped the chaeto bring the PO4 from 3.0 down to a little over .03

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F12596DD-F515-4A9B-8E0E-6DBDE6F8F489.jpeg

BADC8930-3C65-4B9F-ACAC-D71470FAE845.jpeg

Well, the little light grows chaeto. I adjusted the ballast to full power last night to see if I can get even more growth. Nitrates are still around 20 ppm and I am planning a 50 gallon water change today to try and lower them some more. I also added a Marine Pure ceramic block for some bio filter headroom as they have worked really well in my other tank. I am also running a phosphate absorbing pad that has helped the chaeto bring the PO4 from 3.0 down to a little over .03

Following along Jon and great set up. I’ve got the new Max S650 so it’s fascinating to watch the Reefer builds and different set ups and options, especially the different uses of sumps.

I’ve never tried growing chaeto - I guess you just drop it in the sump and put a light on it? Is that about 4 weeks growth in yours from the previous small photo ?

OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along Jon and great set up. I’ve got the new Max S650 so it’s fascinating to watch the Reefer builds and different set ups and options, especially the different uses of sumps.

I’ve never tried growing chaeto - I guess you just drop it in the sump and put a light on it? Is that about 4 weeks growth in yours from the previous small photo ?

Thanks for the comments! I pulled out the 1st handful of chaeto you see in the 1st photo and got a much healthier starter from someone else. What you see in the 2nd photo is 2 weeks or so of growth. I have never grown it before either but it seems like a super easy way to export nutrients so far.

OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
23CA9F61-5E81-4C9B-A06E-9639CA695911.jpeg
Made a few changes today. I got out my par meter (Apogee SQ520) and was measuring in the low to mid 300 PAR range at the very top of the rock work. That was with the Orpheks at full power and the meter corrected for immersion settings. I get this in my lps tank with 2 t5s and a Kessil A360. I am planning to keep sps exclusively in this tank and I feel that I need more than that. I had the Orpheks mounted almost 15 inches over the top of the tank making the light travel 26 or so inches to reach the top of the rock. With what came with the Orpheks, I was able to install the hanging kit and get them 6 inches from the top of the tank. I don’t notice any shadowing and it cured the light spillover that I was getting before. I did a water change at the same time and with the water a little cloudy, I’ll have to take new measurements tomorrow.

OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took some par readings today with the lights lowered and the difference is literally night and day. Getting 700+PAR at the tip top of the rock work and 650 in the upper area with 300 at the sandbed. This should be more than enough for anything I want to keep. Speaking of what I want to keep, I have started buying frags locally or on online auctions when I find a deal. I’m keeping them in my lps tank on a frag rack close to the surface-directly under 2 t5s. So far my favorites are TCK Pikachu, RR Pink Floyd,RR Pink Cadillac, Cornbred Maleficient, JF Beach Bum monti and a Brain Freeze monti. I can’t wait to start adding these to the new tank and hope they don’t brown out too bad while I wait.

24A8BB96-1CE8-4E80-BE1D-6FD2062A281B.jpeg
03CEAA4D-2820-454D-B1F5-84C41C1250DD.jpeg
17EEB050-59AC-4F27-83D8-BAED5CF147C2.png

Last edited:

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update? Your tank looks amazing! I'm going in on a 750 xxl next month after I move. Your Artfully Acrylic ClearView top was something I was looking for, so I'm glad I found this! Question though -- did you add the option for a feed door? If so, where do they place the door?

OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update? Your tank looks amazing! I'm going in on a 750 xxl next month after I move. Your Artfully Acrylic ClearView top was something I was looking for, so I'm glad I found this! Question though -- did you add the option for a feed door? If so, where do they place the door?

Thanks for the comment! Nothing to really update. I have been buying frags and keeping them in my other tank while this one matures. Nitrates are getting lower and lower and are hovering around 7 ppm now. I am still getting diatoms and some green algae (having to clean the glass daily) so not quite ready to add corals. As far as the lid goes, I went for the standard feed door front and center (it doesn’t come with any) and if I had to do it over again I would have added 2 more-one on each end. You can fit your arm through the feed door access and if a snail turns over or I need to get to the ends of the tank, I either have to prop it up or take the lid off. It is not very fun to do by yourself!
I’ll post more once I start adding corals. I ordered a macro lens for my camera today so I might add some shots of all of the frags that I have started buying.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRockTarBaby

Drool!!! This is really awesome!

Does anyone know of the AI product that we could mount two of like you did here, op?

I think we are partial to them, but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRockTarBaby

Drool!!! This is really awesome!

Does anyone know of the AI product that we could mount two of like you did here, op?

I think we are partial to them, but I could be wrong.

I made mine from aluminum t slot material. I considered the AI rails but they will not work with a lid which I knew I would want. What are you planning for lighting? I just saw your thread where you bought a 750 XXL-congrats! I really like mine so far and if you have any questions, I’ll be happy to help.

OP
OP
JonJ

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FC34EC37-7E5E-42D7-8BB4-227ECEAE7E93.jpeg
63B50E3F-FC95-4CC7-B798-2F4732E3E05D.jpeg

I use a 7-8 year old lumix micro 4/3 camera and I ordered a used macro lens (Panasonic LUMIX G Macro 30mm f/2.8). I use an Avast Porthole to get the lens under water. If I had to do it again, I’d buy the long version of the porthole as I have gotten a little to close to the surface and let some water in this one. Luckily I caught it before it got to the lens!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made mine from aluminum t slot material. I considered the AI rails but they will not work with a lid which I knew I would want. What are you planning for lighting? I just saw your thread where you bought a 750 XXL-congrats! I really like mine so far and if you have any questions, I’ll be happy to help.
It’s my friend @HotRockTarBaby getting this tank, thanks for the offer I’m sure he will use it if he can! :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back