New Red Sea XL 300 Bulkhead question

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey all,

Recently purchased a new Red Sea XL 300 Reefer G2 from BRS. First one delivered was damaged by the freight company. Second one delivered yesterday, seems fine.

I have it on the stand and I have a problem. The bulkheads for the overflow on the bottom of the tank. There are 3, the right one and the left one screw off and on just fine. The middle one, won't screw off or on and it is not tight.

It's right at the glass, but loose. You can turn it 1/8 inch or more each way, but no further. I believe they have excess silicone for the overflow on the bulkhead nut and it won't come off or tighten, it's stuck in place.

I haven't applied any force at all as I figure I might damage the silicone inside that seals the overflow. Anyone ever experienced this and if so, how did you correct it? Part of me says it isn't a problem as the overflow is sealed by silicone, but the other part of me says no way because it's a place for potential leak.

Is there a fix or do I have to call Red Sea?
20220921_212053.jpg

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, right after I posted this I had an idea. I went and retrieved some dental floss. I was able to thread it under the nut and worked it back and forth around the bulkhead like a saw. It worked! Here is the excess silicone that was holding it.

1663811799715665647617327225717.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 47.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back