New Reef Classified Buy/Sell/Trade System

Would you use an all in one market for aquarium products? Like an Amazon for the reef hobby!

• Yes

Votes: 775 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 176 13.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 350 26.9%

• Total voters

DMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A) I already am a Amazon Prime member.
B) I already have an online Reef supply that I like and is in Canada.
C) I already have a minimum order requirement of 25 and 150 to get free delivery.
D) Most importantly hardly any of the suppliers will ship to Canada (at least not for free ). And live suppliers won't ship to Canada.

bfsaunde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are already great suggestions here. I've read this whole thread and I hope i am not repeating something that has already been suggested. I find the drygoods for sale section of forums a little frustrating because posts are not uniform and it's difficult to assess quickly if there is anything available that I might be interested in. So what I think would be great is a way to categorize the items very specifically. I'm getting ready to sell a Vectra M1. So, it would be great to know that there are x number of members currently interested in a used Vectra M1 pump. I don't need to know which members, just that there are currently members looking.

I am interested in purchasing a Neptune DOS. So it would be nice to be able to register as someone currently interested in a used DOS and more importantly, be able to get a notification as soon as a DOS is listed for sale. I can't tell you the times I have seen a DOS come up but it is sold by the time I find or see the post. I understand that we can post as "want to buy" but I think those posts are often overlooked.

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We use Amazon frequently for our saltwater needs, as the closest LFS is over an hour away. We do also on occasion order from sites such as BRS who might have items unavailable on Amazon. I would use another marketplace if it was somewhat compatible. I love the filters one can use to sort, product reviews, fast and free shipping. Honestly, if it can't compete with Amazon's pricing, then we'd either order from them or wait for our next trip to the LFS.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the input everyone. We would like to recoup the initial investment but the whole idea of this market is to drive traffic to our community and for it to continue to be a vibrant, continual growing group of saltwater aquarium enthusiasts. That's the NUMBER ONE reason we are looking down this road otherwise we wouldn't add more to our plate that we currently have. Hope that makes sense.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my equipment so far has come from ebay,amazon or craigslist. My local store told me i should try those places first as id probably find better deals.

SPS Junky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make it super user friendly like Amazon so those who are not as technically-oriented don't get frustrated and give up. Amazon is simple and as smooth as silk at every level. And, also like Amazon, include detailed (commercial) seller info and verified reviews--creates more buyer confidence and less risk. Make uploading ad info and photos as simple as creating a text message. Usability is key.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thought about Paypal. They have knocked out accounts due to Political Correctness issues as banks etc. have. Live fish and corals may be the PC movement of the day at some later date. I would be careful before putting all my eggs in that one basket. There maybe other viable alternatives. A listing is given at the below website. I do not know anything about them but it may provide alternatives if desired. I am not advocating boycott just awareness. I have a Paypal account but would prefer an alternate:
Google Wallet
WePay
2CheckOut
Authorize.Net
Skrill
Intuit
ProPay
Click2Sell
Dwolla
Braintree
ClickBank
Stripe

Last edited by a moderator:

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a way for everyone to go buy the 5 items I have for sale! Bwhahahahahahaha!

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see it more like ebay than amazon. Feedback system. Resolution center.

Security is built in to paypal. No need for a hub. Just require paypal to be offered. I have no idea how any of the mobile payment services work. I assume they have buyer and seller protections as well?

It would need to be strict with keyword spamming, false advertising, etc. (very time consuming) Also well thought out rules regarding DOA, broken items, etc.

I don't do forums, or much of anything, with a phone. It would have to be laptop compatible.

This would be very labor intensive and time consuming. Some thought needs to be given to fee structure to pay for it.

atlfishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea for livestock, which sounds like where you are leaning.
1. Easier feedback system is important
2. "Buy it now" functionality, this eliminates the questions on availability, could make offers here as well. Make the transaction process more integrated.
3. Ability to sort by coral vendor. Not specific to that vendors livestock, but see all pieces of WWC being sold.
4. More auction formats. Not just auction ends at time X, but maybe once a week have a live auction format. Sellers get in a que. Auction starts for say minimum 2 minutes and ends when bidding stops for say 45 secs.
5. Is an escrow process possible where PayPal fees can be eliminated?
6. Ability to create local buyer groups. These are friends that may want to add corals to your order. Have settings to allow buyer the option to send out notice to group members that a purchase was made with vendor x

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input everyone. We would like to recoup the initial investment but the whole idea of this market is to drive traffic to our community and for it to continue to be a vibrant, continual growing group of saltwater aquarium enthusiasts. That's the NUMBER ONE reason we are looking down this road otherwise we wouldn't add more to our plate that we currently have. Hope that makes sense.

If that's the reason, market place might not be the major focus. It's more like the secondary use I have for Amazon: product catalog and customer reviews. Reviews on products will be a nice way to drive community traffic. It would be awesome if this become a source of truth on aquarium gears. Once I learn about a product from it, it's less of a matter where I go buy it. It's cool to be able to buy it right there, but usually I'm more concern about if that's the best deal or not, and will look for more places first. So the purchase part should probably come second.

ChuzUThisDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3rd party authentication gets my vote. Not many scammers will verify a social security number. Best practice we use anyways.
(Excuse typos. Phone update screwed me)

Love the idea of third party verification!

HATE with a passion the idea of using my SSN. Unless someone is sending me a social security check, they have no need for my number. With the OPM breach and Equifax breach now, my stuff is out there... just want to limit who else has my SSN.

ChuzUThisDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's the reason, market place might not be the major focus. It's more like the secondary use I have for Amazon: product catalog and customer reviews. Reviews on products will be a nice way to drive community traffic. It would be awesome if this become a source of truth on aquarium gears. Once I learn about a product from it, it's less of a matter where I go buy it.

I think this is an awesome idea! When I'm comparing products I'm looking to purchase, I love the online reviews (Amazon) especially if they post pictures of/from the item(s) in use. Skimmers for instance look good brand new, but seeing how they pull gunk and chunks of nasty from the water and the physical size in a sump is more real world and helps to answer questions I may have.

Someone selling livestock can detail that particular coral/fish along with the water conditions, lighting, flow, placement, etc. and past buyers can review how the items came, post pictures of how they received it, update later how the item is now and how it responded based upon their tank conditions.

Great idea to draw more people to the site and to the best hobby forum there is!

ChuzUThisDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.... 2. Selling livestock in many cases involves shipping which many of us non professionals will not be successful at IMO. Live when shipped dead when received. Talk about promoting issues.
3. A live seller shipping kit should be available from R2R for shipping to cold as well as warm climates for non business folk.
4. Detailed instructions should be available online at R2R on how to actually ship live fish or and corals and exactly what is required as a minimum. This should be considered as mandatory and should be expected by the buyer otherwise this could be a fiasco.
5. I think there should be a "for local pickup only" feature for those that do not want to ship.
6. I think selling used equipment would be a great service to us all. Many are stuck with old equipment that still functions and would be a nice for a starter tank, frag tank, hospital tank, quarantine tank etc. A 30 day limit then automatic removal would keep it from being cluttered. They could repost if desired.
8. Have sections for fish, corals and invertebrates with subsections such as SPS etc. for quicker searching.
9. A separate vendor list for who sells what whether fish, corals, hardware only etc. so we can hit all the relevant sites and see what they offer.

Really like these ideas, especially #3 and #4.

cypho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"like amazon" yes, I would totally use that. But if it is more like ebay or craigslist, then nope, I have no interest.

For me the key differences are:
  • Amazon - traditional CC transaction between me and Amazon. Amazon then forwards funds to seller. I trust Amazon way more than I trust the seller or paypal.
  • Ebay/Craigslist - Funds through Paypal or direct to seller. Neither of which are particularly trustworthy.
  • Amazon - 24/7 customer support via phone or live chat. If I have a problem with a marketplace transaction, amazon takes care of it on the spot.
  • Ebay/Craigslist - no customer support, just a link to email the seller. If things get totally out of hand Ebay(but not craigslist) might step in eventually but it is a last resort not customer service. Often takes days or weeks to get a resolution for even the most simple issue.
I voted yes. But I suspect it would end up being more like craigslist than amazon from my point of view. So perhaps I should change my vote.

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the idea of third party verification!

HATE with a passion the idea of using my SSN. Unless someone is sending me a social security check, they have no need for my number. With the OPM breach and Equifax breach now, my stuff is out there... just want to limit who else has my SSN.
I do agree. That was merely an example.

Another example of the primary verifications I setup for these companies, use Phone, and mail verification.

Waiting a week to receive a letter in the mail. Then confirm the password within that letter, Shouldn't raise concern of being invasive. This board requires a 30 day wait anyways.

Waalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this idea, my biggest issue with ordering livestock online is the shipping...buy $75 worth of Corals pay $75 shipping =/
That being said:
1) Provide very detailed information akin to Liveaquaria about the Coral/Fish
2) Provide a service- Hobbyist gives you format of their tank/stock, tell them if it will work for them.
3) Weird Idea- Provide a location...finder? So I might see those in my local region selling for a possible meetup (Yes I know Facebook groups, blah just make that better!)

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Something I'd like to see is a tool for establishing lineage. As a zoa grower nothing irritates more more than when someone asks for an id and then assumes that they're sitting on gold because their zoa 'looks' like another zoa. Ditto on browned out or color-shifted sps. I realize its a name game. However, I'm always willing to pay more when I know where its sourced from.

A lineage tracker should allow the vender to pass on a token or key to their customer which, should the customer frag the coral, they can then pass on the token or key.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I see a lot of suggestions that just seem a bit extreme.
This is suppose to be fun and member to member selling.
Add too many rules and it only adds more points for failure
I'm surprised no has asked for R2R shipping services yet.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%

Back