New Reef Classified Buy/Sell/Trade System

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback / Help' started by revhtree, Jun 16, 2017.

?
  1. Yes

740 vote(s)
    59.2%
  2. No

172 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. Maybe

338 vote(s)
    27.0%
  1. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

UPDATE 9-11-17: This is gaining a lot of steam and it's gonna cost a ton of money. We want to create it if you will use it! PLEASE VOTE and please continue to add your ideas and input! If you click MAYBE please comment with what you would want to see in order to use the marketplace.

Hello R2R Members!

We have been mulling the idea of a comprehensive classified system that I hope would really change the face of how people buy and sell saltwater aquarium items on R2R and even on the internet. Many have tried to create an ebay style system for just this thing but they fail because they don't have the community of users like we have. Whatever it is we will have to pay to have it developed and it would be a pretty big undertaking.

We are looking to create an Amazon(ish) style market for all things saltwater aquariums.

With that being said I want you to pretend that there is no limits on what we can do and I would love to hear your ideas for a Reef Classified System that would be the all in one place to shop for aquarium related items.

What would you like to be able to do?
    What would you like to see?
    How would you like to buy, sell and trade?
    Integrated Robust Feedback System for keeping people accountable?
    How would you like it to look within the forum?
    Seller levels from hobbyists to commercial?
    Trading? What could set that apart?

Let the ideas fly! Nothing is too little or too big!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    joeypook, Bow69, cowboy and 14 others like this.
    Tags:
  2. Mebeknob

Mebeknob Well-Known Member

-Pay with phone. (Apple Pay, PayPal,etc) maybe even get postage label on the sellers end so no need to go to post office.
    -I'd like to scroll through picture tiles vs text.
    -I'd like to see some type of simple ratings (how long the user has been on, ratings of the user, etc)
    -I'd be okay with commercial, but also a way to sort them out
    - with trading... maybe a way to connect with people who are willing. Say you're selling something for $200... it would spit back people trading something similar between $150-250. Or a simple search function would be fine.
    -the biggest thing for me would be security! What if I pay and don't get the product.... can the seller get charged and I get my $ back...

3. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member

Very good info! Great ideas.

bobble28 and Absolutekind like this.
  4. brett_schn

brett_schn Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I agree with this the most. But I also think it should go to the r2r PayPal hub then to the seller and then if we do get scammed we have the whole community on our side. I have a few more ideas but it is hard to say via typing it out.
    edit I know some light coding and I am really big on video and photo editing and graphics if you guys need help with those kinds of things

5. revhtree

Type them out man!

Kathy B likes this.
  6. d2mini

d2mini Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Partner Member

I don't have a solution off hand, but security comes to mind.
    We seem to get more than the occasional deadbeat seller/buyer or scammer so anything we can come up with to protect against this would be very helpful.

7. smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

I know at one Time the app asked for location to help network with people close. If there was some way to have a seller forum for people within a certain mile radius. That way, for some the price of corals along with shipping makes it a little prohibitive, if they can keep it in their vicinity they could probably eliminate the shipping charges by meeting some place.

Edit: like a Craigslist for Frags. You could call it Fragslist. LOl

I would still personally unto shop some of the Nationwide Network, but to have a local Access Network might help bring in more people into the coral Market that otherwise couldn't afford to buy the corals after you add in shipping.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  8. brett_schn

brett_schn Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I’m a visual person so It’s hard to explain it when I’m typing I will make some really quick sketches on my phone though

revhtree likes this.
  9. mfinn

mfinn likes zoanthids R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member

Integrated Robust Feedback System for keeping people accountable?

I would very much like to see this point built into any new system ( or old)

10. revhtree

Great input! Keep it coming!

Love the ability to see where items are so finding local sales would be easier.

11. FFFishy

FFFishy Well-Known Member NJRC Member

Here's another vote for "Local Transactions" - a method to restrict your buy / sell activity to a specific radius from your home location. This would be convenient for things you might not want to ship (livestock, tanks, etc.)

"Meeting Place" - a method to identify a convenient, local, public place where you could conduct an in-person transaction. Possibly an LFS. In my area, there are several "Safe Exchange Zones" where people can meet. They are usually outside Police Stations or Municipal Buildings.

12. revhtree

Nice!

13. Shineymoose

Shineymoose Member

I think a question that usually comes up with equipment is "will this work for/fit in my tank?" And being able to sort by tank size/suitability might help in that respect.

14. revhtree

A place for good detail and search is important.

15. revhtree

Oh wow and nice first post! Welcome!

halcyonscapes, Tsev03 and Shineymoose like this.
  16. Tuffyyyyy

Tuffyyyyy Well-Known Member

#1 thing I would like to see would be a feedback system. Back in the day I was into sports cards and https://www.sportscardforum.com/ had an excellent feedback system. It was basically just a feedback rating underneath your post count. But it let everyone know that you could buy with confidence (similar to eBay).

17. Justfbilly

Justfbilly Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I agree with d2mini about security. In order to post anything for sale or to be able to buy anything you must have a R2R profile for a specific amount of time (90 days?) before you would be able to buy or sell.

Bunnee911 and DHill6 like this.
  18. Fishlee

Fishlee Well-Known Member

I would just like to upload pictures from my phone with out first uploading to a 3rd party site like Flickr or photobucket then figure out the URL link and embeds code. Personally I like the way Facebook handles for sale groups.

19. Velcro

Velcro Well-Known Member

Is it possible to REQUIRE payments be through paypal by VERIFIED paypal members? Seems like that could potentially weed on some riff raff.

The other big thing would be integrating trading feedback. This could especially be useful for a trading system to show that previous trades were successful.

20. MRodrigues1991

MRodrigues1991 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Agreeing with the security of transactions all stated above...

In regards to the look of it, would be nice to have a look that would break out products into more specific categories. I.E.

- Lighting
    - Tanks/Stands
    - Sumps
    - Skimmers
    - Reactors