New Reef Classified Buy/Sell/Trade System

Would you use an all in one market for aquarium products? Like an Amazon for the reef hobby!

• Yes

Votes: 775 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 176 13.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 350 26.9%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
UPDATE 9-11-17: This is gaining a lot of steam and it's gonna cost a ton of money. We want to create it if you will use it! PLEASE VOTE and please continue to add your ideas and input! If you click MAYBE please comment with what you would want to see in order to use the marketplace.

Hello R2R Members!

We have been mulling the idea of a comprehensive classified system that I hope would really change the face of how people buy and sell saltwater aquarium items on R2R and even on the internet. Many have tried to create an ebay style system for just this thing but they fail because they don't have the community of users like we have. Whatever it is we will have to pay to have it developed and it would be a pretty big undertaking.

We are looking to create an Amazon(ish) style market for all things saltwater aquariums.

With that being said I want you to pretend that there is no limits on what we can do and I would love to hear your ideas for a Reef Classified System that would be the all in one place to shop for aquarium related items.

What would you like to be able to do?
What would you like to see?
How would you like to buy, sell and trade?
Integrated Robust Feedback System for keeping people accountable?
How would you like it to look within the forum?
Seller levels from hobbyists to commercial?
Trading? What could set that apart?

Let the ideas fly! Nothing is too little or too big!

Last edited:

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Pay with phone. (Apple Pay, PayPal,etc) maybe even get postage label on the sellers end so no need to go to post office.
-I'd like to scroll through picture tiles vs text.
-I'd like to see some type of simple ratings (how long the user has been on, ratings of the user, etc)
-I'd be okay with commercial, but also a way to sort them out
- with trading... maybe a way to connect with people who are willing. Say you're selling something for $200... it would spit back people trading something similar between $150-250. Or a simple search function would be fine.
-the biggest thing for me would be security! What if I pay and don't get the product.... can the seller get charged and I get my $ back...

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
-Pay with phone. (Apple Pay, PayPal,etc) maybe even get postage label on the sellers end so no need to go to post office.
-I'd like to see some type of simple ratings (how long the user has been on, ratings of the user, etc)
- with trading... maybe a way to connect with people who are willing. Say you're selling something for $200... it would spit back people trading something similar between $150-250. Or a simple search function would be fine.
-the biggest thing for me would be security! What if I pay and don't get the product.... can the seller get charged and I get my $ back...

Very good info! Great ideas.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with this the most. But I also think it should go to the r2r PayPal hub then to the seller and then if we do get scammed we have the whole community on our side. I have a few more ideas but it is hard to say via typing it out.
edit I know some light coding and I am really big on video and photo editing and graphics if you guys need help with those kinds of things

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with this the most. But I also think it should go to the r2r PayPal hub then to the seller and then if we do get scammed we have the whole community on our side. I have a few more ideas but it is hard to say via typing it out.
edit I know some light coding and I am really big on video and photo editing and graphics if you guys need help with those kinds of things

Type them out man!

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a solution off hand, but security comes to mind.
We seem to get more than the occasional deadbeat seller/buyer or scammer so anything we can come up with to protect against this would be very helpful.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know at one Time the app asked for location to help network with people close. If there was some way to have a seller forum for people within a certain mile radius. That way, for some the price of corals along with shipping makes it a little prohibitive, if they can keep it in their vicinity they could probably eliminate the shipping charges by meeting some place.

Edit: like a Craigslist for Frags. You could call it Fragslist. LOl

I would still personally unto shop some of the Nationwide Network, but to have a local Access Network might help bring in more people into the coral Market that otherwise couldn't afford to buy the corals after you add in shipping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great input! Keep it coming!

Love the ability to see where items are so finding local sales would be easier.

FFFishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another vote for "Local Transactions" - a method to restrict your buy / sell activity to a specific radius from your home location. This would be convenient for things you might not want to ship (livestock, tanks, etc.)

"Meeting Place" - a method to identify a convenient, local, public place where you could conduct an in-person transaction. Possibly an LFS. In my area, there are several "Safe Exchange Zones" where people can meet. They are usually outside Police Stations or Municipal Buildings.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's another vote for "Local Transactions" - a method to restrict your buy / sell activity to a specific radius from your home location. This would be convenient for things you might not want to ship (livestock, tanks, etc.)

"Meeting Place" - a method to identify a convenient, local, public place where you could conduct an in-person transaction. Possibly an LFS. In my area, there are several "Safe Exchange Zones" where people can meet. They are usually outside Police Stations or Municipal Buildings.

Nice!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think a question that usually comes up with equipment is "will this work for/fit in my tank?" And being able to sort by tank size/suitability might help in that respect.

A place for good detail and search is important.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think a question that usually comes up with equipment is "will this work for/fit in my tank?" And being able to sort by tank size/suitability might help in that respect.

Oh wow and nice first post! Welcome!

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 thing I would like to see would be a feedback system. Back in the day I was into sports cards and https://www.sportscardforum.com/ had an excellent feedback system. It was basically just a feedback rating underneath your post count. But it let everyone know that you could buy with confidence (similar to eBay).

Justfbilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with d2mini about security. In order to post anything for sale or to be able to buy anything you must have a R2R profile for a specific amount of time (90 days?) before you would be able to buy or sell.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to REQUIRE payments be through paypal by VERIFIED paypal members? Seems like that could potentially weed on some riff raff.

The other big thing would be integrating trading feedback. This could especially be useful for a trading system to show that previous trades were successful.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back