New Reef Classified Buy/Sell/Trade System

Would you use an all in one market for aquarium products? Like an Amazon for the reef hobby!

• Yes

Votes: 775 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 176 13.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 350 26.9%

• Total voters

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see an easy sort feature (e.g. trees, pull downs, etc) for the items listed. As mentioned previously, robust feedback feature (possibly a way to integrate ebay feedback). I do worry that a large scale buy/sell/trade feature will bring an influx of members that really don't care about the community (this is a much more peaceful forum than some and I truly enjoy that) like most of the members currently do.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe an 'escrow' system ??
I second this one, this seems like a great way to vet the sellers. After a certain amount of sales marked good, the seller doesn't have to use an escrow system. This would really keep the scammers out of the system

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the ability to search by seller location would be really nice especially in livestock lists.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a lot of good comments in this thread. What I would like to see that has been addressed already is categories for items mentioned already. What also was mentioned was the feedback score being posted under your post count, it use to be there so can we add it back. To leave someone feedback its like going through a maze to find the correct spot to do so.

One big issue for me is you can just go post in the for sale forum the same day you signed up. Personally I would like a waiting system where you have to have x posts and x months on the forum before you can fling your stuff. This would probably cut back on scammers. The other thing I would like to see is before you can sell anything you have to fill out a form with your name/address/email/phone and then have a verified ppal address along with this. This way if there is a scam, you can ban the member and there info is there in case the scammed member needs it.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would just like to upload pictures from my phone with out first uploading to a 3rd party site like Flickr or photobucket then figure out the URL link and embeds code. Personally I like the way Facebook handles for sale groups.

You can do that already on R2R. :)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
GREAT input everyone and thank you!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep the ideas coming!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have so much stuff I should sell (the wife would love me) but I really donlt know how to except payment so Instructions would be good for me lol

The system will have a built in payment method. :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good comments already. Some additional inputs I can think of are :
  • Make it easier to trade here: provide some guidance to fulfillment (like ups will pick and drop boxes, and labels can be printed from r2r once items are sold )
  • Provide a grading system for sellers and buyers
  • Use an external payment gateway, preferably something modern like square or google pay or Apple Pay (not PayPal)
  • Don't enforce gates that are not rationale (I.e. Don't enforce time to wait for selling, it's fine to sell from first day, if that's what you want, as long as you have the right criteria) work on the right criterias instead to reduce risk of bad transactions
I would not recommend anything like crypto currency for sake of simplicity :) , I too work for some the largest known internet companies , but hey this is a hobbyist own , hobbyist run forum, coral is our focus here, not the cool things of internet, we can get those as and when they are mainstream

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump for more input

VelocityTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple comments from someone professionally in the industry of developing large scale apps (including payment processing, web apps, e-commerce, and mobile applications).

• Be careful about binding yourself 100% to paypal.
    • They have a great service with some awesome features but those features (as mentioned above) can come back to bite sellers too (malicious buyers, can dispute legit transactions, and paypal is weighted to buyer satisfaction, this means sellers who may be 100% legit can lose sales).
    • Also PayPal has pretty draconian policies on account management. I personally had an experience where my Wife's personal paypal account was permanently banned (for life) by paypal, because at one time a year ago, I logged in as admin on a past employers account, which was involved in a large disputed payment situation, and they banned her account via association through me, to my past employer, for a dispute that happened like a year prior (and did NOT ban my account, or employers account). After dealing with support on this, and escallating numerous times to managers, etc. I was basically told "Sorry, we realize this is crazy, but we don't really care, just deal with it"
    • Not saying "Don't use paypal" but be careful about choosing paypal as an enforced payment method, you could turn away valid buyers and sellers.
  • Another piece of info, a rating system is important, but consider your own verification system. (I also participate heavily in crypto-currency communities, and they had to solve this problem pretty quick too).
    • In other words: Your site has a feature, allowing certain users to "Verify" themselves within your site. There are third party providers that do this for a small fee. The verification requires providing name, address, phone, and verifying through identification or some other mechanism to prove you are actually at that address/phone, etc.
    • This info would only be held by your site (the verification/ID etc would be via the third party). And in the event that someone has a dispute, is ripped off, etc, a the site could provide contact information or aid in dispute resolution somehow. Having that "Verified" stamp next to a name would be a huge re-assurance, combined with a feedback rating, that a user can be "trusted"
  • Supporting Crypto payments (Bitcoin, Ethereum) would be a cool touch. Though not sure how much overlap in the communities there are (meaning it might not have much added value honestly). Either way a nice bonus :)
  • I'd like to echo the "local" aspect, being able to find people local to trade with is a big deal. Especially for those outside the USA where shipping may be problematic.
  • A very good search and "guided navigation" system is critical to the success of that type of system, don't underestimate the complexity of doing that right.
  • Create some kind of standards for photography, and make them "rules" in the site:
    • Allow tagging a photo with WYSIWYG but have a mechanism where the buyer can report "Wasn't as shown" in that case, and do something like after 3 bad reports, give them a negative hit to reputation, and disallow them from using WYSIWYG tag anymore
    • Allow tagging as "Enhanced" or "Natural" photos too, again same kind of rules, allow buyers to report when photos aren't reflective of the appropriate tag. That way buyers can know what to expect based on the images posting (within a reasonable degree).
  • Keep metadata on listings
    • As already suggested things like "Appropriate Tank Size" and "Is compatible with" etc, are useful for filtering.
    • For livestock, having a database like what liveaquaria does, and populating some facts about the species, care, compatibility, special needs, etc would be helpful to sellers, and buyers. Allowing a seller simply to select the species of livestock, etc, and have the database provide a bunch of useful info to the buyer automatically.
    • For equipment have flags such as:
      • New
      • Used (if so, how? how much? how long?)
      • Purchase Date
      • Warranty (if any)
      • Expiry? (chemicals, test kits, etc)
      • Rated Tank Size
      • GPM (pumps)
      • Etc, just multiple "stats" per item.
    • All of these data points can be fed into a good guided search or guided nav system to make the user experience in finding what they want that much easier.
I've probably got others, but can't think of them right now. :)

If you're looking at building this out, I'd be happy to talk more about how I (or rather my firm) could help. Feel free to fire me a pm if you're interested.
I have the same backround, also seen this exact same thing over and over. Had a looong situation not too far back dealing with outbreaks of "scammers" spending all day signing up on misc forums. Posting, blending in and scamming on the buyers end. Not sure if paypal ever stopped any of it.
They wpuld purchase items, report never received, etc. Paypal always weighs on the buyer. Hence it's called buyer protection.

Imagine groups of guys doing this 8 hours a day. Sad.

They will always get around our obstacles. You must becareful how many good sellers and buyers you push away with too strong of verification/lengthy rules.

3rd party authentication gets my vote. Not many scammers will verify a social security number. Best practice we use anyways.
(Excuse typos. Phone update screwed me)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you all for the input. We are still moving forward with this! The goal is to create the most robust online saltwater aquarium marketplace for your security and ease of buying, selling and trading. Keep the input coming!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back