New Reef Classified Buy/Sell/Trade System

Would you use an all in one market for aquarium products? Like an Amazon for the reef hobby!

• Yes

Votes: 775 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 176 13.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 350 26.9%

• Total voters

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there needs to be some way to verify the identity of the seller that way if there are any scammers, they can be prosecuted.

Maybe some sort of escrow service so that the buyer and the seller are protected.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay i think I got where you're coming from now, so for example ---

So were on a huge sales site, *like* amazon, which we'll call Reef2Sales for now. To keep it simple we'll stick with dry goods for this -- Say I want a skimmer, click on 'skimmers', say I have options of sizes and blah blah -- Looking through the list I see three that I like. 2 are offered from either MD/BRS, but 1 is only offered from BattleCorals -- But they're all lumped together as options that fit my criteria, at one site.

Is that more of what you're suggesting?

YES and suggestions for others that might fit your needs.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry, but no - I wouldn't do this were it up to me.
R2R is a fantastic resource for connecting with other reefers - something that is hard to do in-person. There are other avenues for this (Facebook, LFS, other forums, etc.), but each of those has drawbacks and challenges (hard to find/not large enough, not always available nor convenient, etc.). As such, the community aspect of R2R is it's #1 asset for me.
There are other resources for buying products. The sponsoring vendors, for example. If you open an official virtual store-front, you go from being a resource to being a competitor. It's likely that vendors will, in time, stop sponsoring R2R. That would be a loss on both sides, but they would have no choice (you don't advertise your products in your competitor's window). The loss of even a few of the key sponsoring vendors (BRS, WWC, etc.) would remove one of the major draws to R2R. At it's worst, it could reduce R2R to the category of "just another forum" - which could then result in an exodus of it's non-vendor members as well.

Additionally; this isn't something unique. When your idea for a web offering is "like <insert proven company here>, but for <slightly different angle>", then you are already going to be fighting an uphill battle to claim market share. That means that for every dollar you spend to "do what they do", they can spend nothing and already have that. So the "new stuff" - the novel features - are the only differentiation between you and them. Leaving aside that you have to pay to get even first, now you are spending on something that they may have already tried and found lacking - which is a waste of money and time. Or perhaps you find something that really works. But then; what's to stop them from taking that feature and copying it? Their outlay to add a single feature is a far less significant investment and risk. In other words; "chasing the pack" websites are very hard to make work.

The one thing you've got, however, is a large group of members you can tap into. And that's not nothing. But those members generally don't stay here, I'd guess, to buy stuff. Sure; they may buy stuff from time to time and they may enjoy that aspect, but that's not why the core members are here every day; they are here checking and participating in a broad swath of forum topics that, in the end, have very little to do with a specific transaction. So if you tap into that membership - if you turn your member list into an advertising campaign for your new digital store - how many are going to like that?

IMO, your brand is your readily available information and friendly atmosphere of camaraderie around reefing. If you're looking to invest in this site, that's where I'd think you'd want to do it.

I think you're missing what we are talking about as well. We would not be a competitor. Sponsors would be able to list all of their products for sale, track sales, offer discounts, creating shipping labels, etc. all from the market. Because they are sponsors they will also have their items featured and suggested. This is going to actually be a perk for them not something that competes.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think there needs to be some way to verify the identity of the seller that way if there are any scammers, they can be prosecuted.

Maybe some sort of escrow service so that the buyer and the seller are protected.

There would be a third party identification verification process for everyone who desires to sell.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES and suggestions for others that might fit your needs.

That could be very cool, of course, that would also be a nightmare to get sorted. The easiest way to imagine it would be like this; Inject items from other shops/wholesalers/importers into a Live Aquaria style website.

It wouldn't work in a forum format, it would need to be a category/sub-category format like Live Aquaria -- And it would have to be ONLY for reputable dealers for live goods. Where this would REALLY be amazing, is if you could somehow get wholesalers to play along.. I know, its' a self defeating purpose... But there's so many cool fish out there that we will NEVER have access to, because they're simply not available to the GENERAL public... And these don't have to be rare fish. There's like 200 species of Cardinal fish and unless you are lucky enough to have an LFS that decides "hey, lets get these uncommon ones", most LFS are going to stick to Pajama, and Bangaii..

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That could be very cool, of course, that would also be a nightmare to get sorted. The easiest way to imagine it would be like this; Inject items from other shops/wholesalers/importers into a Live Aquaria style website.

It wouldn't work in a forum format, it would need to be a category/sub-category format like Live Aquaria -- And it would have to be ONLY for reputable dealers for live goods. Where this would REALLY be amazing, is if you could somehow get wholesalers to play along.. I know, its' a self defeating purpose... But there's so many cool fish out there that we will NEVER have access to, because they're simply not available to the GENERAL public... And these don't have to be rare fish. There's like 200 species of Cardinal fish and unless you are lucky enough to have an LFS that decides "hey, lets get these uncommon ones", most LFS are going to stick to Pajama, and Bangaii..

This system would be a standalone system that is integrated into our forum to work together. ;)

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the main hurdle for me in buying livestock online is the shipping cost and people NOT offering WYSIWYG. That's one of the main issues with ebay sellers that I've noticed. Many don't do WYSIWYG and won't send a pic if you ask nicely. Ebay does have a ton of livestock sellers. Right now, Live Aquaria has free shipping for $99 orders. That is huge considering what saltwater fish and corals go for. Basically, buy a couple frags and the fish you wanted and get free shipping.
I think we need to see more of that. Anytime I see $40-50 shipping it's just a turn off as I've been conditioned by Amazon and Ebay to expect free shipping. I've only bought livestock online on time though, which included free shipping. There was a long shipping delay, only half the fish survived and I was not a happy camper. Livestock shipping is problematic. I left a review on Facebook for the transaction stating the facts and that I wasn't happy. The seller all but begged me to remove my review and ended up basically paying me to do so, so that type of system is also fraught with issues. Amazon has gained a reputation for fake reviews and issues with review integrity so something like that needs to be tightly controlled for consumer confidence.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So essentially it would be like Reefapalooza but online and always? I like the idea, but I think getting the platform established on our existing classifieds for user-to-user interaction and maybe expand into livestock after that, once all kinks can get worked out, would be best. From a dry-goods perspective I think we should keep that at user-to-user for now and depending on responses from sponsors about interest in and how that may affect their relationship with this forum. I think maintaining that separation as a second-hand market versus a primary market for new goods would be helpful, reduce excess noise to the forums (and the resulting increase in moderation required to keep it in check), and keep our positive relationships with these vendors, especially the smaller ones.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be great if BRS would sell through it to the UK :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The R2R app is a private label Tapatalk.:)
The feature on ebay where you place bids and you can watch a auction is good.
I wonder if eBay would do a private label site just for R2R. Would be easier than a total rebuild of functionality.
PayPal and Apple Pay or Samsung Pay for those so inclined would be nice.
PayPal let's you dispute purchases. I have seen sellers lose money because of a shady buyer too. So its both ways as for as losses.
Maybe if one is not on the up and up in buying and selling they are banned for life from the site. Using ip address and mac address banning.

Yes - My suggestion was going to be a Store or something arranged on Ebay - but available to members here. One potential issue, as a 'seller' I want the broadest audience possible - so limiting it to just this website might be an issue?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A storm is brewing.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So essentially it would be like Reefapalooza but online and always? I like the idea, but I think getting the platform established on our existing classifieds for user-to-user interaction and maybe expand into livestock after that, once all kinks can get worked out, would be best. From a dry-goods perspective I think we should keep that at user-to-user for now and depending on responses from sponsors about interest in and how that may affect their relationship with this forum. I think maintaining that separation as a second-hand market versus a primary market for new goods would be helpful, reduce excess noise to the forums (and the resulting increase in moderation required to keep it in check), and keep our positive relationships with these vendors, especially the smaller ones.

If this were to alienate our sponsors then we wouldn't proceed. This will be a PLUS for them!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This system would be a standalone system that is integrated into our forum to work together. ;)
JMO...
We should get Reef 2 Reef "Supporter" discounts, like you do from your local reef shop for being apart of your local reef club.

Bingo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a market that can cater worldwide is a better idea. some or most of the shops in the US doesnt ship in Dubai. United Arab Emirates. if you can tie up with our LFS here in dubai to facilitate the orders.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a market that can cater worldwide is a better idea. some or most of the shops in the US doesnt ship in Dubai. United Arab Emirates. if you can tie up with our LFS here in dubai to facilitate the orders.

That would be cool! However, overnight shipping across the globe would be insanely expensive. And the mortality rate for corals would probably be high.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't know enough about how message boards work to give us the type of navigation we would need -- So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and stress again that this would be wildly successful IF it's very easy to navigate.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know enough about how message boards work to give us the type of navigation we would need -- So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and stress again that this would be wildly successful IF it's very easy to navigate.

It would be! :D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back