New Reef Tank

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of the smaller Red Sea units as apposed to an XL 300, maybe the 170 or XL 200 as I'm still indecisive as to where I should place the tank.

I was originally going to go with 200xl but the wife wanted a larger tank. Not going to argue with that. Haha. I would go with the 200. Unless you will want to go bigger later.

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What types of corals are you planning to keep? I recently set up a Waterbox Frag 105.4 as an LPS / softie tank. Previous tank was a 130g Planet Aquarium. I love the dimensions of the 105.4. It's 4'x2' and only 16" deep so it's very easy to reach into for maintenance. I've always had black stands. This time I went with the white. Everything is very sleek and clean looking.
I was looking at starting a mixed reef so all sorts really! I do really like shallow reefs, my plan for my next tank was actually the IM Lagoon 25 but it's out of stock so I thought i'd look elsewhere, but being tall reach isn't too much of an issue. They are all gorgeous tanks though.

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was originally going to go with 200xl but the wife wanted a larger tank. Not going to argue with that. Haha. I would go with the 200. Unless you will want to go bigger later.
That's what I'm thinking, I've just sketched the foot out onto some cardboard and both seem plenty large enough but I wasn't happy with the size of my Fluval EVO after I had brought it so I don't want to make the same mistake again. It's okay miss-spending £100 but almost £1000. No thanks! Will more than likely be the latter

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have been in the hobby for almost a year now and with my Fluval EVO 13.5 surviving my amateur reef skills, I think it's almost time for an upgrade, only I want BIG!

I just feel as though these HUGE tanks look amazing and whilst they are extremely pricey, I would like some expert opinion on the tanks around the 65 - 80 gallon mark (not huge for some of you guys),

I've seen the Waterbox 85.3, EA ProReef 900 and the Red Sea Reefers XL 300 and 350, they all have built in sumps, pipework etc. as you all know, which seems extremely easy compared to my built in sump where filtration is poor, no room for a refugium or even proper filter media, I literally run this system with the sponge and a filter floss.

I would like to add that I have an AI Prime 16HD running on my Fluval EVO 13.5, will two of these be enough for such a large tank? or should I upgrade the lighting aswell? maybe two AI Hydra32's or even the ReefLED90's as recommended by Red Sea?

But what would be the best for someone in my position and should I maybe look smaller as this will only be my second tank.

Olivia.
There are many options out there but bigger is easier to keep numbers right and you don't have to do water changes every few days.you know the old saying,go big or go home.I'd say go for it.and all the tanks you mentioned are great (according to what I've seen) but can't speak first hand.good luck and congrats on the one year mark.that's awesome in its own right.

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many options out there but bigger is easier to keep numbers right and you don't have to do water changes every few days.you know the old saying,go big or go home.I'd say go for it.and all the tanks you mentioned are great (according to what I've seen) but can't speak first hand.good luck and congrats on the one year mark.that's awesome in its own right.
Thank you so much! I mean bigger is better, right?

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am chiming in on the Waterbox selection. I recently got a 100.3 and absolutely LOVE this tank! The dimensions make it seem like a HUGE tank, but it’s only 71 gallons.

The quality of the glass is really gorgeous and I love the 1/2” thickness! It really looks like a custom rimless tank to me. The stand is 3/4” plywood with a lot of leveling feet. I think Waterbox is a solid choice and either size you go with is good!

Bigger is definitely better!

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am chiming in on the Waterbox selection. I recently got a 100.3 and absolutely LOVE this tank! The dimensions make it seem like a HUGE tank, but it’s only 71 gallons.

The quality of the glass is really gorgeous and I love the 1/2” thickness! It really looks like a custom rimless tank to me. The stand is 3/4” plywood with a lot of leveling feet. I think Waterbox is a solid choice and either size you go with is good!

Bigger is definitely better!
Do you have a photo of the waterbox's sump? I've seen it's almost 30 gallons!!

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a photo of the waterbox's sump? I've seen it's almost 30 gallons!!

it is. But does leave some room in the cabinet. This is from when I was setting it up.

I’m still waiting on my Ecotech order.

0E0BE000-0C0D-496A-9744-E9A8554A092E.jpeg

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is. But does leave some room in the cabinet. This is from when I was setting it up.

I’m still waiting on my Ecotech order.

0E0BE000-0C0D-496A-9744-E9A8554A092E.jpeg
How pretty! What exactly will be connected to those extra two pipes on the return?

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I mean bigger is better, right?
Well, its a lot easier.I have a nano and its so much more demanding than any of the bigger tanks I've had,so much more so i m helping my wife set up her seahorse tank to distract me from my tank.plus you have more options for stock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back