New Reefer 170 build

Joe.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, super excited about my new reefer 170 build. It's now 2 months and finally starting to come to come together the way I imagined,and just want to share it with everyone. Any feedback or advice would be great!
Tank-redsea reefer 170
Lighting-2 ai prime hd
Skimmer-nyos quantum 120
Reactor-IM minimaxx pro running brs gfo .8 rox
Return pump-ecotech vectra s2
Blower-icecap gyre 2k running about 30%
Dosing-tropic marin all for reef manually as of now
Coral food- redsea ab+ reef energy
Fish-blue star leopard wrasse, yellow coris wrasse,2 mochavinvi clownfish, firefish, orchid dottyback

20210306_232921.jpg 20210306_233117.jpg 20210306_232833.jpg 20210306_232859.jpg

OP
OP
Joe.

Joe.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly my coris wrasse jumped out of my 170, so you might want to be prepared for that, as they don't tend to do so well on armchairs.
Funny you say that, my yellow coris wrasse jumped out while I was doing my waterchanhe yesterday. Luckily I was able to put him right back in. Also I have lid so when im not around, they can't jump out.

OP
OP
Joe.

Joe.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in how you like the Nyos 120
Works pretty good and extremely quiet. Probably a bit bigger then needed for this tank but with a skimmer I think it's better to have more then less.

OP
OP
Joe.

Joe.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly like it so far, it's a bit overpowered though. Between this and the return pump flow I get, I dont think I need anymore. I only recently turned it up to about 35 % and it's starting to blow the sand a drop. Imagine if I really cranked it up. I'd probably rip the flesh off my corals..

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that's with only 1 lol. Ever thought about turning it down and incorporating a second on the opposite side? Sorry for beating a dead horse, just tossing around some ideas for my tank.

OP
OP
Joe.

Joe.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that's with only 1 lol. Ever thought about turning it down and incorporating a second on the opposite side? Sorry for beating a dead horse, just tossing around some ideas for my tank.
Yea I have definately thought about it. Only reason I have not pulled the trigger is because I feel that my corals love consistency. Even though it may be an upgrade, it would definatelly upset my existing coral.

OP
OP
Joe.

Joe.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a small phosphate spike recently and lost a hammer coral. Also I bought an emerald grab and caught him nipping. So both probably helped kill the coral. I remove the crab and added sone fresh gfo to my reactor. Also cut back on feeding coral and fish. Got the phosphate back in check from .15ppm to .03ppm. Everything else is bouncing back pretty well. Here is an updates photo.

Attachments

• 20210328_184715.jpg
    20210328_184715.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 91

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much all for reef are you dosing? I just added corals in my 170 and started dosing recently. How do you like the ab+? I was torn between that and the brightwell aminos. Brightwells cycle kit worked well for me so I decided to use their coralaminos. Only been dosing that 3 nights though so far.

OP
OP
Joe.

Joe.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much all for reef are you dosing? I just added corals in my 170 and started dosing recently. How do you like the ab+? I was torn between that and the brightwell aminos. Brightwells cycle kit worked well for me so I decided to use their coralaminos. Only been dosing that 3 nights though so far.
About 10 ml a day, keeps me stable but early on I wasn't dosing it. Only after seeing my alk start to drop, then started to dose accordingly. I like the ab plus, I throw about 4ml in 3 times a week. Coralaminos is also great. I actually use both.

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 10 ml a day, keeps me stable but early on I wasn't dosing it. Only after seeing my alk start to drop, then started to dose accordingly. I like the ab plus, I throw about 4ml in 3 times a week. Coralaminos is also great. I actually use both.
Thanks, I hadn’t thought of doing ab+ as well. What does your alk stay at usually?

OP
OP
Joe.

Joe.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I hadn’t thought of doing ab+ as well. What does your alk stay at usually?
I use red sea blue bucket for my salt mix, I try to keep alk around 8. You should aim to keep it near whatever your salt mix comes out at.. and always use the same salt mix, don't keep changing..

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.2%
Back