New Reefer 170, cracked overflow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Will Red Sea Replace the tank for free?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Red Sea Reefer 170. Set up the stand, then noticed my black background was scratched off a bit (was going to take it off anyway) and after I took it off, noticed two huge cracks in the overflow =(

I checked the tank and sump before the driver left, but the overflow was so black and dark, I didn't notice it.

There's no way I cracked it, and it's strange that it's on the internal overflow.

I emailed PremiumAquatics for help (since I ordered through them initially).

Any chance Red Sea will replace the tank at this point?

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_7703.JPG

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the vendor will do is reach out to Red Sea. Call them yourself (or email them) with your incident and pictures. They are generally right on top of things and should give you the yes/no rather quickly. (However, with the current state of things in Texas, dont be surprised if you have some delay!)

Capture.PNG

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the vendor will do is reach out to Red Sea. Call them yourself (or email them) with your incident and pictures. They are generally right on top of things and should give you the yes/no rather quickly. (However, with the current state of things in Texas, dont be surprised if you have some delay!)

Capture.PNG

Thanks for the info. I tried calling but nobody responded, and I just emailed them. And yes, I realize they're in Texas so I might be completely out of luck.

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope everything is OK with them. It looks pretty bad out there. =(

My suggestion would be to call at least once a day and send a physical letter Certified Return Reciept as it will carry a post mark. Be respectful and polite asking them to contact you at their first opportunity once they get back into operation.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first register the tank here - http://www.redseafish.com/max-register/

After you've registered the tank open a ticket with them, you will have to provide proof of purchase.

The serial number for the tank is on the back glass inside the overflow box!

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

I went onto their website and used the Tech Support form to contact them this time, instead of simply an email.

Looks like they're closed because of Harvey.

This is the confirmation page I got:

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 11.54.42 AM.png

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just got my Red Sea Reefer 170. Set up the stand, then noticed my black background was scratched off a bit (was going to take it off anyway) and after I took it off, noticed two huge cracks in the overflow =(

I checked the tank and sump before the driver left, but the overflow was so black and dark, I didn't notice it.

There's no way I cracked it, and it's strange that it's on the internal overflow.

I emailed PremiumAquatics for help (since I ordered through them initially).

Any chance Red Sea will replace the tank at this point?

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_7703.JPG
Make sure you have the reciept. They wouldnt send me a 15cent piece without one. Otherwise they have to replace the tank for you

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you have the reciept. They wouldnt send me a 15cent piece without one. Otherwise they have to replace the tank for you

Yes! I'm glad I ordered online, so the receipt is just stored in my email. I sent that over in my registration as well. Thanks for the heads up.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea replaced the tank? I see further down the thread you sold it.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked out your build thread. I dealt with RedSea directly over a shipping issue, freight company issue. They sent me their product line to make up for the headache. In the process they were quick to answer questions.

ls4driver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kinetic, I had a very similar crack in the overflow of my new Reefer 170. (It was on the other side of the overflow box, under the return outlet fitting.) Red Sea replaced the tank, no problem. Apologies for the crappy iPhone photo, but you'll get the idea.

I too am baffled about this. The entire system is so well-packed, it's hard to see how it could be damaged in shipping. I wonder if there's a process issue with they way they construct the overflow? Regardless, Red Sea stepped up and I'm very pleased -- both with the quality of the aquarium system and with their customer service.

IMG_7375.jpg

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kinetic, I had a very similar crack in the overflow of my new Reefer 170. (It was on the other side of the overflow box, under the return outlet fitting.) Red Sea replaced the tank, no problem. Apologies for the crappy iPhone photo, but you'll get the idea.

I too am baffled about this. The entire system is so well-packed, it's hard to see how it could be damaged in shipping. I wonder if there's a process issue with they way they construct the overflow? Regardless, Red Sea stepped up and I'm very pleased -- both with the quality of the aquarium system and with their customer service.

IMG_7375.jpg

Yeah, I bet it has to do with the way they assemble the tank and vulnerabilities. Putting in the plastic pieces for the overflow could cause a small crack, and it only gets amplified once packed and gets rocked around a little. I can see how one almost undetectable crack can spider out at a later time with minimal movement.

If this is common, I'm sure Red Sea will probably address it eventually in future QC or design. At least they're doing the right thing and sending out replacements.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 525 XL arrived last Thursday with the overflow box busted. Poor packaging and care is the reason. Only one metal strap was holding the crate together. I cut that strap and removed 3 screws and the whole crate fell apart. The top of the box had the doors on it and was covered in a plastic sheet. When I took the plastic sheet off, there were boot prints all over the top of the box. The plastic rims on the sides had popped of the overflow and one side was a little crumpled. I'm guessing the sump shifted in transit and broke the overflow box.

I hope someone is going to fix this. It took two weeks for UPS to deliver it and now I just got a broken fish tank in my garage. The vendor says Red Sea will ship another, but that is all I've heard.

I also heard Red Sea will not take the tank back, so now I need to figure out what to do with this broken tank in my garage.
IMG_3042.JPG

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people I've heard have cracked / shattered overflows. One theory is that during manufacturing, it comes with a small crack, and then on shipment it actually shatters from that crack. It usually starts somewhere near the overflow teeth.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back