OP
OP
DiscGolfRob

DiscGolfRob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the aquascape! I tried to do something similar in half of mine but 18" fore and aft is really limiting.

Thank you! It really is tough. When I started this journey, I was looking at the 16G BioCube. Now, it's amazing how fast a 50G has started feeling "small." I thought I had a scape situated, using a cardboard profile, but I had to make adjustments once I actually got the rock into the tank.

OP
OP
DiscGolfRob

DiscGolfRob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I was going to go with a 75. Then a 120. I finally purchased a 90. I really wish I had gone with the 120 now. Having that extra depth allows so much more to be done.
What you ended up with is super nice, though! My brain already wanders to a larger, long tank, and making this one a species tank. I have so much to learn before I can allow myself to go down that path, though.

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally made the purchase on an SCA 50 today. I had been going back and forth between a RSR 170, RSR 250, SCA 50. I decided on the SCA 50 after reading tons of build threads. I think you have done a great job on this build, and may reach out if you don't mind for some tips.

OP
OP
DiscGolfRob

DiscGolfRob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally made the purchase on an SCA 50 today. I had been going back and forth between a RSR 170, RSR 250, SCA 50. I decided on the SCA 50 after reading tons of build threads. I think you have done a great job on this build, and may reach out if you don't mind for some tips.
Welcome! I absolutely would love to help, in any way that I can. This has all been a first for me. I wish that I had started my build thread, earlier on, as I had to go back and write a lot from memory. Not a huge deal, but I know that I had worries and issues early on that I wish I had documented for others that are just starting. I think you've made a great choice on tanks. I plan on upgrading some of the equipment, eventually, but the tank itself is beautiful. @Barrett and @Philipgonzales3 build threads were both a big help to me. Let me know if you start one. I'd love to follow along!

OP
OP
DiscGolfRob

DiscGolfRob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1290.JPG

No major update, today. I didn't get home until extremely late, as I went to see Queen! Absolutely incredible show. I did fill my ATO container, but that was about it. I had dosed Ammonia back up to 1ppm, the night before, but after reading some of Brew12's cycling advice, I'm going to leave things alone until my Nitrites drop.

OP
OP
DiscGolfRob

DiscGolfRob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real update for the tank, but I want to stay in the habit of following up. I haven't been testing every day, as I don't believe it to be necessary, at this point. Salinity has stayed locked in at 1.026, so I'm pretty confident that issue has been solved. Ammonia did get down to 0ppm, but Nitrites have still been quite high. I am letting it ride out for a bit, and if there is no movement in a few weeks, I will start considering a water change.
While pondering the actual stocking of the tank, I have realized that I can use this time to really develop a feeding strategy. This is another area where I feel that I have a sizeable knowledge gap. Also, my plan has always been to start the stocking with two clowns. I am starting to second-guess that, as I worry about them making it difficult to add other fish. So, I'm revisiting my stock list, including order of stocking.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real update for the tank, but I want to stay in the habit of following up. I haven't been testing every day, as I don't believe it to be necessary, at this point. Salinity has stayed locked in at 1.026, so I'm pretty confident that issue has been solved. Ammonia did get down to 0ppm, but Nitrites have still been quite high. I am letting it ride out for a bit, and if there is no movement in a few weeks, I will start considering a water change.
While pondering the actual stocking of the tank, I have realized that I can use this time to really develop a feeding strategy. This is another area where I feel that I have a sizeable knowledge gap. Also, my plan has always been to start the stocking with two clowns. I am starting to second-guess that, as I worry about them making it difficult to add other fish. So, I'm revisiting my stock list, including order of stocking.
I started my tank with two clowns and haven’t had a problem. They now are in there Duncan 90% of the time.

OP
OP
DiscGolfRob

DiscGolfRob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4CF61023-1C35-4D66-AFAB-076600E2E8B7.jpeg

Pretty excited, tonight! Huge movement in my nitrite level, over the last three days. I’m going to give it another day, or two, dose back up to 2ppm, and go from there. Huge thank you to @Brew12 for the time taken explaining the cycle, and answering so many questions on here.
Tomorrow, I am headed out to That Fish Place, in Lancaster, PA. I will most likely pick up two clownfish, and start their time in the quarantine tank. I’ve also been looking at a lot of the biodiversity offerings from Indo-Pacific, and will probably make an order in the next week, or two.

OP
OP
DiscGolfRob

DiscGolfRob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
46D25806-3AF5-4D48-9BD2-E3B351DDE942.jpeg

Made my trip to That Fish Place, and picked up two snowflake clowns. They are Cecil and Rosa, but they haven’t decided which one is which, yet. When I got them home, I decided that I was uncomfortable with some of my equipment choices in the QT, and felt they would be better in the DT. I absolutely should have done a better job of making sure the QT was 100% ready to go, and I’m disappointed in myself for that. This was the right solution, though.
Both clowns have been eating great (Hikari Frozen Mysis). They are also very active, and getting along great. The corner they are in, in the picture, is obviously home base. My daughter has hardly left the front of the tank, since they went in, which is absolutely awesome!

OP
OP
DiscGolfRob

DiscGolfRob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B04903C8-5B31-4AD3-98BF-AE0767BCF757.jpeg

It seems like this really just popped up, very suddenly. I knew the rocks were definitely looking less white, but the spots on the sand are new. I believe they are diatoms. Cecil and Rosa are doing great.

OP
OP
DiscGolfRob

DiscGolfRob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1EAA60C9-00D6-4EF7-B4D4-982EE46697A7.jpeg
A05F416B-3638-485F-838A-34D9C2D5761D.jpeg

Little bit of tank maintenance, tonight. Changed my filter sock, emptied my skimmer cup, cleaned the glass, and did some water tests. Pretty happy with where everything is. After doing a water change, Saturday, most of the diatoms disappeared.

I freaking love these clowns. They have wonderful personalities, and seem to be doing great. They’re eating well, although I do feel like I am still dialing in how much to feed them, because it feels like they will eat, forever.

I have a package coming from IPSF, on Thursday, to add some biodiversity. I’ll update, then.

OP
OP
DiscGolfRob

DiscGolfRob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FB72484A-4406-4AAD-B6FA-62A1678B78DC.jpeg

Order from IPSF came! There is so much stuff! Getting everything acclimated and in was kind of overwhelming, so I didn’t take any pics. My daughter, however, took aaaaall the pics. I’ll get some from her, and post them. Tank is cloudy, right now, but that’s to be expected. I’ll update once it has all settled down.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back