- Feb 5, 2019
- Reaction score
Thank you! It really is tough. When I started this journey, I was looking at the 16G BioCube. Now, it's amazing how fast a 50G has started feeling "small." I thought I had a scape situated, using a cardboard profile, but I had to make adjustments once I actually got the rock into the tank.I love the aquascape! I tried to do something similar in half of mine but 18" fore and aft is really limiting.
What you ended up with is super nice, though! My brain already wanders to a larger, long tank, and making this one a species tank. I have so much to learn before I can allow myself to go down that path, though.I agree. I was going to go with a 75. Then a 120. I finally purchased a 90. I really wish I had gone with the 120 now. Having that extra depth allows so much more to be done.
Welcome! I absolutely would love to help, in any way that I can. This has all been a first for me. I wish that I had started my build thread, earlier on, as I had to go back and write a lot from memory. Not a huge deal, but I know that I had worries and issues early on that I wish I had documented for others that are just starting. I think you've made a great choice on tanks. I plan on upgrading some of the equipment, eventually, but the tank itself is beautiful. @Barrett and @Philipgonzales3 build threads were both a big help to me. Let me know if you start one. I'd love to follow along!I finally made the purchase on an SCA 50 today. I had been going back and forth between a RSR 170, RSR 250, SCA 50. I decided on the SCA 50 after reading tons of build threads. I think you have done a great job on this build, and may reach out if you don't mind for some tips.
I started my tank with two clowns and haven’t had a problem. They now are in there Duncan 90% of the time.No real update for the tank, but I want to stay in the habit of following up. I haven't been testing every day, as I don't believe it to be necessary, at this point. Salinity has stayed locked in at 1.026, so I'm pretty confident that issue has been solved. Ammonia did get down to 0ppm, but Nitrites have still been quite high. I am letting it ride out for a bit, and if there is no movement in a few weeks, I will start considering a water change.
While pondering the actual stocking of the tank, I have realized that I can use this time to really develop a feeding strategy. This is another area where I feel that I have a sizeable knowledge gap. Also, my plan has always been to start the stocking with two clowns. I am starting to second-guess that, as I worry about them making it difficult to add other fish. So, I'm revisiting my stock list, including order of stocking.