New Reefer from CO

Sunshineincolorado

View Badges
Reaction score
My husband purchased me a 280 gallon tank which I wanted to do freshwater as I have had freshwater tanks for years but he talked me into doing a reef tank. Very nervous about this. I am struggling just to get the tank and the sump hooked up. Can use all the advice I can get. The protein skimmer only fits in the sump if I take all the felt socks out. Do you have to use the socks in the sump. Is there other filters I can use in their place? There is a lot of room in this sump. Thank you.

Fritz

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
welcome38.jpg

Zoanthids

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Hey there.... that is a big tank but rest easy... bad things happen slower in a big tank. It's like turning a cruise ship. Drink some tea, take a breath .... you've got this.
We can give you more advise on the sump if we could see what you have going on. Can you post us a pic?
You Got This Mental Health GIF by YouTube

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
Welcome to R2R and the hobby! Socks serve a purpose, but they aren't mandatory. As you can see, you've come to the right place to find people willing and able to help you figure out the setup.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

400BA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My husband purchased me a 280 gallon tank which I wanted to do freshwater as I have had freshwater tanks for years but he talked me into doing a reef tank. Very nervous about this. I am struggling just to get the tank and the sump hooked up. Can use all the advice I can get. The protein skimmer only fits in the sump if I take all the felt socks out. Do you have to use the socks in the sump. Is there other filters I can use in their place? There is a lot of room in this sump. Thank you.
Welcome to R2R! I'm a newbie as well and will be watching responses to your questions. Good luck and have FUN!

https://www.youtube.com/c/ReefStache

WHAT DOES THE TERM "GOOD WATER QUALITY" MEAN TO YOU?

• Your aquarium water is in acceptable ranges measured by consumer level water tests

Votes: 107 43.7%
  • Your aquarium water is in acceptable ranges measured by ICP type testing

Votes: 37 15.1%
  • Your aquarium water is good based on how your corals are growing and look

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Your aquarium water is good based on how little nuisance algae is growing

Votes: 47 19.2%
  • Your aquarium water is good based on how it looks to you

Votes: 36 14.7%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 6 2.4%
AFX