OP
OP
cmross13

cmross13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought the Current USA Marine IC light bar system with LOOP control lightly used locally for $125 with 1x 48" Light Bar, 3 Current USA LOOP 1050GPH wave pumps. Picked up a new 1,900GPH return pump at $150, Single A+ bar from Current USA for $133, and a pair of light brackets another $200, so $475 for 2x 48" LED light bar, 3x 1050GPH Wavemakers and wicked overkill return pump

that was supposed to say "single 48" bar from Current USA with light brackets for $200." not $133 for light bar and $200 for brackets lol

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always wanted a Marine setup and a couple months ago in August I found what I thought was a Coralife Biocube 29 for $150 with stand, pump, filter basket, media, a canopy with a burnt lamp, and a pretty nice clamp-on LED. I hopped in the car and drove about 2 hours to get it and bring it home. Along the way home I picked up about 20lbs live rock, 40lbs live sand, a 20lb bag of reef crystals, a bottle of Dr Tim’s, a bottle of Prime water conditioner, and an appropriate heater. Filled the bathtub with warm water and started scooping in salt and measuring salinity with included float gauge thing. Once I hit 1.0025 I started using buckets to put into tank.

Photo was taken about two hours after I got home.
C72A2240-3559-415B-8F62-419BD781EB79.jpeg

three or four hours later:
949534F7-08AF-4D53-A05C-1E6BB8BFC745.jpeg

luckily in the bag of goodies that came with the tank was a brand new API saltwater test kit, and water levels were perfect. I waited two days, still perfect, so in went a pair of clowns and some decoration

6AA57E75-CF55-4C0D-A4B7-C15C7BF86D22.jpeg

At this point I decided to order a replacement lamp for the hood, for fear an aggressive fish would jump out or a curious cat would jump in. This is when I realized it was a JBJ Nanocube 28, and not the Coralife unit I was told. I hadn't noticed the badge on the front lol. So I bought a replacement JBJ Bulb and a few days later refitted the canopy. Then the cord shocked me the next day, so I bought the JBJ LED WiFi canopy for $205 on Amazon and installed a few days later. I have had pretty good results, but I don’t have demanding corals. Somewhere between deciding I wanted to reuse the canopy and replacing the canopy I added a LARGE cleanup crew with Hermits and a Mithrax Crab from Reef Cleaners, and a Lawnmower Blenny from LFS. Over the next few weeks I removed the fake decorations, did a 7 gallon water change, and had the LFS test my water regularly(still perfect), and added 5 frags, three colonies, and one soft coral, along with one fish per week including a Blue Green Chromis, Six line Wrasse, Coral Beauty, Yellowtail Fusilier, Peppermint Shrimp, and Green Mandarin Dragonette. Yes I realize this is overload, unfortunately the Coral Beauty developed some sort of scale disease almost immediately when I got home and took the larger Clown to fish heaven with him/her the next morning. This was roughly 6 weeks in, or middle of September. I had fish store test water again and still perfect. Two months later and nobody has had any issues. As for the Dragonette, she didn’t make it through the night either, but I’m blaming that on buying a fish that wasn’t quarantined at fish store for at least a week. I added roughly 20,000 Copepods while I was acclimating the Mandarin and it just kinda laid around the bottom of the tank and was dead the next day.

Changed 12 gallons of water Wednesday and this is where I’m currently at:

E233E18E-5D69-4230-BB7B-A0150DF6B71E.jpeg

Welcome to the R2R network, tank looking great.

OP
OP
cmross13

cmross13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up Reef Octopus protein skimmer last night. Need a small piece of tubing to connect to the Venturi inlet, but I think it’ll clean up ok once I get it running in a tub of vinegar/water. Yes it has the matching red lid lol. Not bad for $50 IMHO. Also picked up a pair of Kessil A160WE for $200 with Goosenecks which I may use in addition to the Current USA bars, or I may run my JBJ rimless as well as the Biocube I scored today for $100 rimless ;) or may use for refugium I dunno yet.

4325C2D6-D00E-4547-BADB-1D1266C6E601.jpeg

$100 Biocube 29 HO. I’m told it looks better in person I haven’t seen it with my own eyes yet. I saw the deal and sent my old college buddy to go pick it up for me. I’m gonna go visit him Saturday and pick it up. Tank, HO/LED canopy, heater, filter baskets, return pump, and UV Sterilizer. It’s a gift for my sister.

FE7CC8AA-BD3D-4C7F-B233-B876F97E2BB7.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
cmross13

cmross13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[Edit: Uploaded correct video]
I was playing with the Current USA lamp a little. Pretty neat in concept but highly doubtful I’ll ever use it outside of testing due to the fact that I most likely won’t have wild caught fish and I’m sure it’ll scare the hell out of captive bred.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cmross13

cmross13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The “Rolling Clouds” feature might get some occasional “show off” use though.

Attachments

• IMG_0565.MOV
    18.4 MB

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 42.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 102 49.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.4%
Back