New Reefer greetings- and quick question...

TheoScapes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I've seen the light and moved on from freshwater aquascaping to building my first reef tank!
My name is Theo and I'm currently cycling my first reef tank (a week in).

My lfs has a different approach to cycling to what I've read online and seen on YouTube. I did about a year's worth of research on everything so I thought I'd reach out as it sounds suspicious...

They sold me ocean water collected by fisherman, dry rock (9kgs) , and dry ATI Fiji white sand (7kg) for a 30 gal tank with 15 gal sump.
Anyway- I like the look of it all, but they said to cycle it I need to add the ocean water, 1 vial of BioDigest, 1 vial of BiopTim, and leave it along for two weeks.

Long story short: I've been testing daily for ammonia and it has started to spike (currently at 0.25 after a week), but I'm worried because nowhere does it say anything about cycling your tank with ocean water + Probidio products...?

I was going to mix my own water with blue bucket Red Sea, add MicoBacter7 and go that route, but chose to follow their advice out of excitement, but as they say- hindsight is always 20-20... I want this to be successful.

Do you guys think their approach can work?

Reefers greetings,

Theo

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh, you've seen the light and come to the dark side... Congratulations, Theo, and WELCOME!!
I think it can work fine but 2 weeks is, IMHO far too short of a cycle. You can always do water changes with the salt mix provided that you are using RO/DI water to make your saltwater and for evaporation. RO/DI is a MUST for reefing.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Crypto Bitcoin GIF by Cyril Blondel

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!
My lfs has a different approach to cycling to what I've read online and seen on YouTube. I did about a year's worth of research on everything so I thought I'd reach out as it sounds suspicious...

They sold me ocean water collected by fisherman, dry rock (9kgs) , and dry ATI Fiji white sand (7kg) for a 30 gal tank with 15 gal sump.
Anyway- I like the look of it all, but they said to cycle it I need to add the ocean water, 1 vial of BioDigest, 1 vial of BiopTim, and leave it along for two weeks.

Long story short: I've been testing daily for ammonia and it has started to spike (currently at 0.25 after a week), but I'm worried because nowhere does it say anything about cycling your tank with ocean water + Probidio products...?
Cycling with ocean sand or rock works but as I understand it water doesn't hold any of the bacteria needed for the cycle. Seems quite an odd strategy to me too.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side of life, Theo!
Developing the most diverse biome is the key to successful coral care, but this ocean saltwater strategy seems a little unusual when you can get the same - if not better - result by getting ocean cultured live rock.
But regardless, Antics is right, patience is the best practice. Don’t worry too much about your ammonia yet.
Read this and compare it to your local fish store’s advice. Then, use your best judgement. Good luck!

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
welcome2.gif

BRS just released a series of videos specifically about cycling.

Regarding the ocean water. don't sweat it... one of the members here has a tank up near 50 years and he started it with ocean water.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Theo and looking forward to hearing more about what your LFS has for your start up, but what you have done so far, MB7 and some patience seems like a winner
From reading, the types of bacteria you need to kick off the cycle are not found in water, though I wouldn't mind having a off shore bucket of fresh plankton in a more developed tank!
The thing you will find out about reef tanks is that thee are tons of ways to get to where you want to be

By the way, will be in VM next month... can't wait

100.gif

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back