New reefer - help me stock my tank!

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the fish game for about as long as I can remember. Started with cichlids when I was little, slowly evolving into keeping piranha, then got tired of massacring goldfish so moved to saltwater.

Im about 2 months into my first reef tank - a Red Sea Max Nano. Absolutely loving it so far. I have a Tunze ATO and everything else stock.

My current stock list:

Purple/Green Hammer coral (bottom right)
Duncan coral (front middle rock)
Blastomussa coral (bottom left)
Gorgonian sea wand (left)
Gorgonian corky (right)
Citron goby
Flagtail Pink Bar Goby (bonded pair)
Cleaner shrimp
Trochus/Cerith/Nessarius snails
Couple hermit crabs

I am having trouble figuring out what corals to go with next and where to place them. Specifically on the top rock but also open to other spots. Would love some suggestions on what corals you recommend and where.

I want to avoid anything that encrusts or takes over, so no GSP, xenias, mushrooms, etc. Probably going to stick with LPS - I want the least amount of maintenance possible outside of water changes.

Thanks team!

tank.jpg

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd put a torch on that top rock towards the right for some fun movement, and a lobo on the bottom left of the same shelf rock for some color. Looks like a great start so far!

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd put a torch on that top rock towards the right for some fun movement, and a lobo on the bottom left of the same shelf rock for some color. Looks like a great start so far!
Thanks! It is no easy task figuring out how to stock. I really like the idea of a torch up there!

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not coral, but a rock flower anemone garden can be very bright and pretty. A zoa garden also looks nice in a nano, just avoid the ‘weed’ like paly’s or isolate them on a rock.

Sun corals are awesome, but are challenging as they are non-photosynthetic. But they can be placed in caves, underside of rocks, and completely shaded areas.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yuma mushrooms are also really nice and they don’t tend to take over a tank like some mushrooms can.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda fun to pop an update on this thread as I was looking through my history. Much has changed in the 8 months since the last post. Lost some fish, a couple corals, but overall in great shape. Slow and steady has got me here, and it’s been quite a fun journey so far.

My current stock list old and new:

Purple/Green Hammer coral (died - bad specimen from LiveAquaria)
Duncan coral (still going strong)
Blastomussa coral (still going strong)
Gorgonian candelabra (still going strong)
Gorgonian corky (still going strong)
Citron goby (lost him but have another)
Flagtail Pink Bar Goby (one of the pair jumped)
Cleaner shrimp (died
Trochus/Cerith/Nessarius snails
Couple hermit crabs

New:
Green torch
Gold torch
Purple torch
Green hammer
Purple/green hammer (seen better days)
Green blasto
Bali slimer
Monti digitata
Birdsnest
A 2nd duncan (duncan one almost didnt make it)
Purple firefish goby
Neon goby
Blue Mandarin pair
Threadfin cardinal pair
Barnacle blenny pair
Tuxedo urchin

B6C748B8-EC45-4D82-83E6-0AB3161B2A71.jpeg
5A712A05-44BC-46A6-BA6F-D630E7709AB3.jpeg

Back