Ahhh I can see a man cave in your future
ZomboMeme 27102020101811.jpg

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome !!!! NEO here. You can never have too many outlets just try and make them dedicated with their own breaker and battery back up system. Definately need to start a build thread so we can all follow along! Good luck we are all here to help.
I dive as well where is your favorite spot?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R community. New to reefing and loving the learning process! I am a diver and have wanted to bring that environment home. I recently retired and now have the opportunity plus it gives me something relatively new to learn and try to get good at.
So, we are doing a basement renovation project and I want to build a 90+- gallon reef tank into the corner of a wall. Lots of space behind the wall for support stuff. Want to plan right from the ground up. The only thing I really lack is a handy in floor drain. Plan an RODI in the renovation. Need some advice on the electrical support. I am thinking two outlets on separate circuits. Sound reasonable. Also want to mount the tank at the same height as a new bar which will be perpendicular to the tank (42"). Also would like tank that is roughly 2'x2'x3'. Again, advice welcome. Thanks in advance!

Hey there, welcome to the R2R channel. 90-gallon build...super nice.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You’ve joined a great community with lots of friendly folks willing to help when needed. Looking forward to seeing your build thread.

OP
OP
MattPG

MattPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 circuits should be fine. One circuit can support the tank side (lights and power heads) and another for the sump side (recirculation pump, skimmer). 2 circuits gives you roughly 4,000 watts of support.

And welcome aboard from a fellow Ohioan!
Thanks very much for the advice!

OP
OP
MattPG

MattPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the show.
cube tank 36" deep?
I love deep tanks. mine is 30" deep.
at 36" deep lighting could be an issue if you intend to place corals on the bottom.
reaching the bottom also calls for some creativity.
we demand a Build Thread to follow along.
:cool:
Will do. Actually I am thinking 36 long and 24 high/deep

OP
OP
MattPG

MattPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from a fellow Ohioan!

2 20 amp circuits should be good. I would definitely plan on putting in a floor drain, or tapping in an existing drain some how.
The best not other thing I might consider if I was planning an i wall system is size. A lot of people find themselves upgrading rather quickly. I would decide if a 3 foot long tank is going to satisfy everything you want to accomplish live stock wise.
Actually I am thinking of building a support framework for the tank that would be at least 48" long, maybe 60" to account for expansion. Thanks for the thought.

OP
OP
MattPG

MattPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard if you are remodeling I would suggest at least one more dedicated circuit. Cheaper to add it up front than add it later. Where is the plumbing for your bar going should be able to tie into that if a short run, near by drain stack, floor drain? Keep us posted on your progress
The bar will be close and I plan to put an RODI under the sink there. I need to talk to a plumber to see if I can do a drain somehow. Thanks!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back