90g in wall build newbie

It’sMeCoryT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers! New to the forum and reefing. I am in the planning stage for a 90+-g in wall build in a basement area we are renovating (adding bar, bathroom and bedroom to existing media room). Would love input and reactions as I go.
Awesome, what are you planning on housing in your 90? Are you going to have a “sump room” since it’s built in? Welcome to R2R btw!

OP
OP
MattPG

MattPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, what are you planning on housing in your 90? Are you going to have a “sump room” since it’s built in? Welcome to R2R btw!
I don’t have a hard and fast plan although I want fish sand based critters, and soft corals for sure. I have been reading and trying to acquire knowledge on YouTube, etc. I also understand the requirement to take this slow. My focus is a healthy, sustainable environment vs specific species.
My current conundrum is tank dimensions. I am thinking 36x24x24 or something close to that. Any deeper seems it could be a challenge to work in and I want to stick close to 90g. I will be building a stand behind the wall which is unfinished space and will be my “sump room”. I am thinking on building the stand to eventually accommodate a 72X24 upgrade tank.

Steve27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I am going to remodel this Spring and am planning an in wall 40x22x22 build. That's is about as big as I can accommodate in the closet that will be converted to a fish room. If you're doing in wall, I recommend going as big as you can from the get go, rather than the eventual upgrade to the 72in. You might just want to go 72 from the beginning. Good luck.

OP
OP
MattPG

MattPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for DT advice. I would like a DT of between about 70-90g. It will be in-wall, on a corner, with ample service space behind the wall. Something like 21Hx19Wx48L. The reef ready tanks seem to sacrifice aqua-scape space in the tank for the overflows. I am thinking an external overflow plumbed down to the sump may be best give the space flexibility I have behind the tank. Does this make any sense (new reefer)? Also, any thoughts on pros-cons of DT bought on line and shipped vs getting one from LFS?

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External overflow is where most of the hobby has moved to now. A slim overflow in the tank drilled through the back that goes to a larger box outside the tank. Makes the most sense imo. Use a bean animal (triple drain) for a very quiet and reliable drain.

Those dimensions look good to me. If you can go deeper you won't regret it.

Ordering through a LFS helps support them. They also usually have a good relationship with a tank builder is they are not doing it themselves. That said there are also plenty of good websites you can order custom tanks from.

Steve27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with count krunk. Depends what you are looking for. If you want standard dimensions and don't care about internal vs external overflow, etc, then a standard tank through LFS would be a good option. This would help support local business during tough times as well. If you want non standard dimensions, specific external overflow and ability to choose side and location of returns, then custom would be a good option. It's about figuring out what you want.

OP
OP
MattPG

MattPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
External overflow is where most of the hobby has moved to now. A slim overflow in the tank drilled through the back that goes to a larger box outside the tank. Makes the most sense imo. Use a bean animal (triple drain) for a very quiet and reliable drain.

Those dimensions look good to me. If you can go deeper you won't regret it.

Ordering through a LFS helps support them. They also usually have a good relationship with a tank builder is they are not doing it themselves. That said there are also plenty of good websites you can order custom tanks from.
Thanks for the advice. Bean animal advice appreciated. I want to use our LFS but the couple times I have gone to get help it has been a struggle.

OP
OP
MattPG

MattPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with count krunk. Depends what you are looking for. If you want standard dimensions and don't care about internal vs external overflow, etc, then a standard tank through LFS would be a good option. This would help support local business during tough times as well. If you want non standard dimensions, specific external overflow and ability to choose side and location of returns, then custom would be a good option. It's about figuring out what you want.
I am good with standard dimensions as long as they are close to what I noted earlier. I am a little nervous to get too deep as my arm reach is 21-22 but again, not sure how often I will need to reach to the bottom of the tank. Given that the DT will be in wall and on a corner (left side of DT) I am thinking that the overflow should be towards the opposite end but maybe not since it will be behind the wall.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about the above mentioned bean animal setup. Since you have the room behind the display tank. Also, I am all for supporting local businesses. Keeping that in mind there are some great alternatives online. Bulkreefsupply.com is a great source for equipment and plumbing supplies. Any ideas on equipment choices? I highly recommend checking out Bashsea.com for sumps, skimmers, bio-reactors, and media reactors. Lighting choices are abundant.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am good with standard dimensions as long as they are close to what I noted earlier. I am a little nervous to get too deep as my arm reach is 21-22 but again, not sure how often I will need to reach to the bottom of the tank. Given that the DT will be in wall and on a corner (left side of DT) I am thinking that the overflow should be towards the opposite end but maybe not since it will be behind the wall.
Nothing wrong with having it at one end. This is how my new setup will be. Just make sure whichever overflow you use fits the end dimensions and gives you adequate tank volume turnover. The old rule of thumb used to be 10x the tank volume of turnover. But you can also achieve this with about 5x turnover per hour with using a series of powerheads keeping the water in the tank moving around as well. With 90 gallons try to hit around a true 500 gallons per hour turnover rate. You can use dc pumps which are energy efficient and you can vary the output speed. Eco-tech for example makes nice pumps. They also offer battery backups in case a power outage happens your tank stays online. No circulation can start to have negative effects in as little as a few hours.

OP
OP
MattPG

MattPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree about the above mentioned bean animal setup. Since you have the room behind the display tank. Also, I am all for supporting local businesses. Keeping that in mind there are some great alternatives online. Bulkreefsupply.com is a great source for equipment and plumbing supplies. Any ideas on equipment choices? I highly recommend checking out Bashsea.com for sumps, skimmers, bio-reactors, and media reactors. Lighting choices are abundant.
Thanks Rob. I have looked at other equipment but felt that I needed to make a tank decision first. I appreciate the Bashsea recommendation too and will check them out. Also I find the LFS’s in the region tend to carry one maybe two brands of sump, PS, lights, etc.

OP
OP
MattPG

MattPG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with having it at one end. This is how my new setup will be. Just make sure whichever overflow you use fits the end dimensions and gives you adequate tank volume turnover. The old rule of thumb used to be 10x the tank volume of turnover. But you can also achieve this with about 5x turnover per hour with using a series of powerheads keeping the water in the tank moving around as well. With 90 gallons try to hit around a true 500 gallons per hour turnover rate. You can use dc pumps which are energy efficient and you can vary the output speed. Eco-tech for example makes nice pumps. They also offer battery backups in case a power outage happens your tank stays online. No circulation can start to have negative effects in as little as a few hours.
Thanks. I was thinking that battery back up would be a smart move too thanks for confriming.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
greetings.
go deep. don't let the reach scare you off. a step ladder and 18" tongs available on Amazon and you are good to go.
110 X High 48x18x30 my first.
150 X High 48x24x30 my current and in wall.
my reach is the same as yours.
and my overflow is through the side glass.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows your water where you live?
I guess I should also ask you how much water do you plan on storing? Premixed saltwater and clean ro/di for top off? It is always nice to have a fair amount of premixed salt on hand. Whether it be for setting up an auto water change system using dosing pumps or if you have to do a big water change in an emergency situation to get a crashing tank back into shape. All things to consider. Im designing my new system now. Will have auto water change running at a rate of 3-5 gallons per day plus whatever I need for top off after evaporation. I have 2 Norwesco 150 gallon tanks. One stores ro/di. The other is premixed salt. My total system volume will be close to 375 gallons. Auto water change will run schedule at 6 days per week. When the premix tank nears empty the fresh water will pump into the salt tank so I can mix and stir it with a pump for 24 hours to stabilize before the water change cycle picks back up. In the meantime, the fresh ro/di container will refill. Which also fills a 5 gallon auto top container under the display tank. I use a 7 stage ro/di system from bulk reef supply with. Booster pump. I have the incoming pressure set to about 85 psi. My incoming TDS varies from about 140-160. At times you can smell the chlorine in the water here in Florida when they treat the supply. You'll want to make sure you get filters that really take care of that issue because that is bad for the tank. Anyway... enough of my long winded diatribe. Good luck with the build looking forward to seeing some pictures as you progress. Keep asking questions. We are all here to steer you in the right direction. If you get a chance check out my build thread. RobW's 274.3 gallon build in the members tanks section.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back