0B159E1C-583D-450A-B4FA-5CB3B4096B41.gif

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm Ally and I have just become a reefer for 2 months lol (to be honest, I used 2 months to set up and stablize the system and I have only started to put live animals into the tank for less than 1 week). I decided to set up my own nano tank (16 gal) after a visit to the Aquarium of Pacific in Long Beach. I'm from China, graduated from THE Ohio State University, and moved to Pasadena for work.

Before I put live animals into my tank, I thought everything was perfect - the algae boosted and died, the parameter was good...so I put 2 snails and 2 clownfish into the tank. However, 1 snail died in 3 days and I don't know why. Then the bigger clownfish who was very active and healthy started to have "peeling skin" which I believe is parasite infection. I gave her freshwater dip and she seems good. I'm not able to set up a separate QT tank so I didn't try copper or formalin. But today I found her infected skin torn to reveal the flesh inside, and she refused to eat or move, just breathe heavily at the bottom. Can Brooklynella causes a wound like that? The other clownfish also started to show signal of "peeling skin" at the exact same place of body as the first clownfish. The survived snail also fell to the bottom and turned over. I flipped it back but it didn't move. I'm afraid that it will die like the first snail.

The deaths and diseases all happened so fast and badly hit my confidence of setting a reef tank. I feel so sad that all of a sudden my new reef tank tenants are dying. So I registered an account here to post the picture to see if anyone can help me with some advice. My clownfish probably won't be able to make it this time T_T.

WeChat Image_20220817154525.jpg WeChat Image_20220817154534.jpg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry we couldn't have met under better circumstances. That does sound like Brooklynella. You should leave yo0ur tank fishless for six weeks - concentrate on working with your clean up crew and other invertebrates. Then, if you can, buy pre quarantined fish. There are some vendors online here that offer them, but you may have some in Pasadena.

Jay

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

OP
OP
Allybobo

Allybobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, thank you all for your kind advices! Unfortunately, both clownfish have left me - a sad story! The remaining creatures are 2 bubble tip anemone, 1 zoa/poly frag (a freebie from AquaSD) and 1 snail (highly doubt if it's alive since it stayed at the same place for 2 days, but seems to react when I attempt to open its lid). I will not introduce new tenants to my tank for 1 month and monitor the system. I'm also considering setting up a QT tank. Thank you all again!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back