New reefer interested in nano

Bertle92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I am brand new to this whole thing but it's been my dream for a while to make a reef! I live in an apartment so I was thinking about trying to start with a nano reef. Does anyone have any suggestions or resources that would be good for starting out? I'm planning on visiting local stores and asking for info as well.
Thanks!

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of good stores around the metro area I have built a 30 gallon reef years ago. Fair warning you will want a much larger tank shortly after getting going because it’s awesome!

My advice is to plan out what you want and how much you have to spend. There are many ways to skin this. Read Revs thread about how to plan a build.

For a nano tank I would get an ATO and plan on doing weekly water changes to handle replenishment use a salt that is close to NSW so you don’t see large spikes in values that will be hard on livestock. If you go heavy on corals or plan to then start by testing alk and dose two part accordingly if you have a need. As far as trace elements you shouldn’t have issue if you keep up with water changes for instance if you chang 5-8 gallons weekly like one Home Depot bucket or one and a half and with displacement you have a volume of 25 gallons on a 30 gallon tank that would be 100% monthly water change so those would for sure be good. If you buy the salt in bulk 175 or 200 gallon boxes like Red Sea blue bucket aquaforest reef salt or instant ocean regular you’ll get the best bang for your buck and the will last along time.

Also- most people prefer to make their own water you can buy it from a LFS but it’s exspensive in the long run exspecially in AZ you need to use RODI water to have 0 TDS water spectrapure is located in Tempe and their systems are designed for saltwater aquariums worth a stop (and purchase) for sure. If you buy from a store just buy the RODI water and mix salt yourself.

Equipment:
Tank
Stand
Skimmer - hang on back or sump depending on tank choice and what kind of tank
Lighting-depends on livestock choice types of coral ect
Refractometer- I like digital ones I have the Milwaukee version
test kits-

alk -if you keep corals to see you weekly depletion between water changes and if you need to supplement you can buy others as needs or curiosity arises

Nitrate and phosphate - once your up and running to help you watch for high nutrients

Cycling test kit ammonia and nitrite

Tank Cycle research this many ways to do this bacteria ect once your set up then start adding creatures.

How to run tank ULNS Zeovit, live rock based traditional, Red Sea colors based, aqua forest pro dio system this will help you pick if you need a sump or equipment needs if you choose live rock traditional get some ceramic hidden in your tank somewhere like exportbio from brightwell. A lot of these systems are designed for bigger systems where 20% monthly water changes don’t keep up with system demand for trace elements and vitamins and also add amino acids and foods for corals.

That’s my 2cents.

OP
OP
B

Bertle92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of good stores around the metro area I have built a 30 gallon reef years ago. Fair warning you will want a much larger tank shortly after getting going because it’s awesome!

My advice is to plan out what you want and how much you have to spend. There are many ways to skin this. Read Revs thread about how to plan a build.

For a nano tank I would get an ATO and plan on doing weekly water changes to handle replenishment use a salt that is close to NSW so you don’t see large spikes in values that will be hard on livestock. If you go heavy on corals or plan to then start by testing alk and dose two part accordingly if you have a need. As far as trace elements you shouldn’t have issue if you keep up with water changes for instance if you chang 5-8 gallons weekly like one Home Depot bucket or one and a half and with displacement you have a volume of 25 gallons on a 30 gallon tank that would be 100% monthly water change so those would for sure be good. If you buy the salt in bulk 175 or 200 gallon boxes like Red Sea blue bucket aquaforest reef salt or instant ocean regular you’ll get the best bang for your buck and the will last along time.

Also- most people prefer to make their own water you can buy it from a LFS but it’s exspensive in the long run exspecially in AZ you need to use RODI water to have 0 TDS water spectrapure is located in Tempe and their systems are designed for saltwater aquariums worth a stop (and purchase) for sure. If you buy from a store just buy the RODI water and mix salt yourself.

Equipment:
Tank
Stand
Skimmer - hang on back or sump depending on tank choice and what kind of tank
Lighting-depends on livestock choice types of coral ect
Refractometer- I like digital ones I have the Milwaukee version
test kits-

alk -if you keep corals to see you weekly depletion between water changes and if you need to supplement you can buy others as needs or curiosity arises

Nitrate and phosphate - once your up and running to help you watch for high nutrients

Cycling test kit ammonia and nitrite

Tank Cycle research this many ways to do this bacteria ect once your set up then start adding creatures.

How to run tank ULNS Zeovit, live rock based traditional, Red Sea colors based, aqua forest pro dio system this will help you pick if you need a sump or equipment needs if you choose live rock traditional get some ceramic hidden in your tank somewhere like exportbio from brightwell. A lot of these systems are designed for bigger systems where 20% monthly water changes don’t keep up with system demand for trace elements and vitamins and also add amino acids and foods for corals.

That’s my 2cents.
Thank you thank you! That's incredibly helpful!!! This gives me a much better idea of my expenses and such. Really appreciate you taking the time to lay this out so concisely

OP
OP
B

Bertle92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is something like this enough for a small tank so I don't have to go out and buy water?

Screenshot_20180814-100406.png

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that RO/DI is fine. I purchased something similar at BRS and it does a bang up job. I currently have two 20 gallon tanks set up and I find myself making about 15-20 gallons once every two weeks or so for water changes and top offs. Piece of cake.

OP
OP
B

Bertle92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! I have noticed some tanks with a lot of equipment for sale on Craigslist. I am always wary of used items due to bacteria, etc. Can used aquarium equipment be a good option or is there too much risk ? Or is some equipment ok to get used and other it's better off buying new?

cooltowncorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing you need to be carful of is copper as far as tanks go copper can stay in silicone and live rock from my under standing and is toxic to coral and invertebrates. I have bought a used tank and gear in the past I wouldn’t worry about it just ask about copper and if it was used as a saltwater tank if it was should be good.

You can clean everything with vinegar (very safe and common) and even bleach if you let it air dry long enough. Your tank will be full of bacteria when it’s done cycling so I wouldn’t worry. Parasites and the such wouldn’t live in open air for long which is a form of sterilization for things that require moisture. So if it’s used clean it out with vinegar let it sit for a couple days then fill it up and make sure it doesn’t leak.

OP
OP
B

Bertle92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing you need to be carful of is copper as far as tanks go copper can stay in silicone and live rock from my under standing and is toxic to coral and invertebrates. I have bought a used tank and gear in the past I wouldn’t worry about it just ask about copper and if it was used as a saltwater tank if it was should be good.

You can clean everything with vinegar (very safe and common) and even bleach if you let it air dry long enough. Your tank will be full of bacteria when it’s done cycling so I wouldn’t worry. Parasites and the such wouldn’t live in open air for long which is a form of sterilization for things that require moisture. So if it’s used clean it out with vinegar let it sit for a couple days then fill it up and make sure it doesn’t leak.

Ok sounds good thank you!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back