New Reefer

SmokeyDaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. Just got into the hobby about 4 months ago. My 3yo son loves all things under water.

we got a 30 gal nano with a pair of clowns, a
wrasse, a skunk cleaner, A few snails, two emerald crabs yellow watchman goby, and a pistol shrimp.

We also picked up a few corals including a Duncan and hammer.

One of the crabs called on the Duncan today and knocked it over. I put it back and then a snail knocked it over.

I put it back again but it looks very unhappy. It’s completely closed up. Is it gonna die?

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Most likely the Duncan will be fine, she how it is looking in the morning.

1594345163795.png

OP
OP
SmokeyDaReefer

SmokeyDaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it’s starting to reopen with the lights off.

We got some bubble algae and I brought the emeralds in to clean it up but from what I’m reading it sounds like they can be jerks. Has anyone had problems with them nipping at corals?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always a possibility. Most of my emeralds are model citizens and I've only ever had one emerald that went after any of my corals. The good news is that they're not usually subtle if they chose to go after any of your corals, so you can usually watch and wait ;)

Saminpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it’s starting to reopen with the lights off.

We got some bubble algae and I brought the emeralds in to clean it up but from what I’m reading it sounds like they can be jerks. Has anyone had problems with them nipping at corals?
I had one that i took a video of, the emerald was ripping my duncans flesh apart and eating it. I lost two of my 4 duncans because of crabs. So the crabs are removed. Mine were totally jerks

OP
OP
SmokeyDaReefer

SmokeyDaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also trying to figure out how much to feed. I think I was running lights too long leading to algae growth. I also probably over feed. For the 4 fish (2 clowns, 6 line wrasse, and goby) 2 crabs who are mostly herbivores and 2 shrimp I’ve been feeding a third of a music cube. Is that too much?

Just trying to get my algae under control.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcome30.gif

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome... The coral will be ok... It's just unhappy from getting knocked around... They make a product called epoxy an ic glue. (Make sure both products are reef safe) that you can use to fasten down the coral where you want it...

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back