New Regal Angels, observations on the two variants.

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a unique turn of events that essentially landed me two Regal Angels. Long story short is, the vendor delivered the wrong kind to me, an Indo grey belly versus a Red Sea or IO yellow belly. To the vendor's credit, he shipped me a yellow belly for free including cost of shipping (shoutout to Dr. Reef. The best in the business).

The Indo grey arrived first and it was rough. The bag was leaking and it was freaking out. I thought it was a goner. I put it in my refugium with rock and sand. After about 5 or 6 days, barely eating anything (I threw pretty much everything at it), I put it in my FOWLR display hoping a more natural environment would suit it better (I used an acclimation box). The downside is there is competition. It's still not eating anything. It sometimes picks at rocks, and perks up when I feed, but I have yet to see it eat anything I give it.

The Red Sea yellow came a week later, and boy what a difference. For starters, the bag and box were in good shape. The fish was just hanging out inside. I decided to acclimate it directly in the display. I put it in the acclimation box. After a feeding, I noticed it going for the food it couldn't get from the box. After observing more, I let it out. A few hours later it was active in the tank, picking at rock and glass. Today, one day later, I fed PE mysis and LRS reef frenzy soaked in Selcon. I was very happy to see it go for the PE mysis at the very least (and possibly the LRS).

Obviously I gambled a bit. I knew having two Regals in my 150g could be bad. But the acclimation box helped, and I saw no aggression before releasing. There was some flaring of fins between the two after release, but now they just ignore each other. They exhibit the same behavior as if they were by themselves (with the Indo still somewhat shy, and not eating prepared).

The Indo is an adult, 5-6 inches, with no eyespot. The Red Sea is an older juvenile, 4 inches, with the eye spot still discernable. All this fits my current understanding of the species. That Indos are harder to acclimate and more fragile. Additionally, I've heard the same difficulties happen when the fish are adults, and juveniles are easier to get eating.

The Indo spends most of its time in a cave-ish overhang. It goes out every once and while, inspects some rocks, but it seems a little shy. I've seen frozen mysis and pieces of nori go right by it, and it doesn't react. It's been a little over a week, and although this is within normal time frames, I really hope it gets more comfortable and starts eating. It receives no aggression from other fish (I left the room and used a baby monitor to confirm). It doesn't seem to like the fast moving tangs or Heniochus bannerfish though. I hope it pulls through. Maybe the shipping trauma is still lingering.

The Red Sea one does not seem as bothered by other fish. It swims all over the tank. I'm more confident, but also hopeful this one makes it.

The tank is a Red Sea Max S650. It has a detached 30g display refugium I recently plumbed in, with live rock, chaeto, and other macro algae. I don't check parameters a lot, last I checked phosphates were at .07. It's well stocked, so I have an oversized Reef Octo skimmer, Red Sea Reef mat. The refugium, coupled with an algae turf scrubber, really helps keep nutrients lower as I feed heavy (and especially now as I try to get the Indo to eat). 15-20% water changes weekly. A 90w Lifegard UV at ~400gph paired with a 40w AquaUV at about 350 gph. This is an ich management tank.

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were they both quarantined fish? I would expect both to be eating if so. I mean what would they feed in qt if it doesn't eat prepared and frozen?

They were both quarantined by the vendor and eating frozen mysis/brine

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were both quarantined by the vendor and eating frozen mysis/brine
Must be stress on the first that caused it to go off food.

I have also found that fish rarely get as large as a lot of people state, at least in captivity. People told me a naso will get gigantic and mine is large 7-8 inches after 7 years but far from gigantic. I also agree live aquaria max size is fish in the wild but better that way than under estimating I suppose.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LiveAquaria lists the minimum as 125g and they tend to be conservative with capacity. I've read multiple success stories with a 100g+ tank
Using gallons as a minimum capacity is the first sign it’s not accurate

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using gallons as a minimum capacity is the first sign it’s not accurate

125g tend to be 4-6 feet long, which I read is plenty for a captive Regal. Of course there are esoteric exceptions regarding dimensions but these are general guidelines. No one is saying a 125g cube or jellyfish display is proper.

From my research 4 feet is the absolute minimum and 6 feet is preferable. My 150g is 5 feet long with plenty of live rock. If you disagree I understand, I have no intention of arguing, but perhaps you could at least provide your own recommendation rather than nitpicking?

Regardless if the Indo starts eating I'll be looking to donate it to a local LFS or sell it. But I'm not going to donate or sell a doomed fish. I'd rather get it eating in my tank first as it's already establishing itself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be stress on the first that caused it to go off food.

I have also found that fish rarely get as large as a lot of people state, at least in captivity. People told me a naso will get gigantic and mine is large 7-8 inches after 7 years but far from gigantic. I also agree live aquaria max size is fish in the wild but better that way than under estimating I suppose.

I agree, it didn't have a good time at all shipping. Just crossing my fingers at this point.

To echo your point, I was talking to an LFS owner about this (who's been reefing for a while and sets up client tanks as part of his business). He also agreed that the maximum sizes listed are usually maximum sizes observed in the wild, and oftentimes don't reach that in captivity. He mentioned Hippo Tangs as an example. They do tend to grow big but there are a lot of cases where they stay smaller. It's impossible to tell though, so use max sizes to be safe.
In the case of Regals, I've read in captivity they rarely get to the 10 inch maximum. 6-7 inches is a common adult size.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back