New regal tang pop eye

Tw1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I brought a regal tang and foxface fish from the LFS last week on Friday. Neither traveled well, I believe due to the LFS not sealing the bags properly and having lots of water leakage - they were still in water when we got home. Bit seemed weak and not happy.

They’ve both been settling in well to QT, my Kole tang was initially a little feisty with the foxface but has since settled to both the new fish. They are both feeding on brine shrimp with garlic and flake food.

However I noticed a few days ago that the regals left eye was popping slightly, and today seems to have worsened. I did a 25L water change yesterday, not sure if this caused it to worsen.

When should I act? And what should I do?

Any treatment will have to be in the QT as that’s where all my fish are due to a fallow DT due to Ich.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With just one eye "popping" it usually indicates an injury rather than a disease. You can dose Epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gals). Use regular USP grade Epsom salts with no additives.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With just one eye "popping" it usually indicates an injury rather than a disease. You can dose Epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gals). Use regular USP grade Epsom salts with no additives.

+1

OP
OP
Tw1

Tw1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long do I dose for? And will this affect the other the other fish? What is USP grade Epsom salt?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do I dose for? And will this affect the other the other fish? What is USP grade Epsom salt?
You can dose twice. If no improvement, we move on to different solution.
It won't bother your other fish. If anything it will improve their bowel movement, perhaps for a couple of days. It's just magnesium sulfate. It will slightly elevate the magnesium level in your tank. It's a very gentle treatment that works amazingly well for simple pop eye or some other minor injuries.
USP grade Epsom Salt is pure, food grade Epsom Salt "without" any additives or scents, etc.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Tw1

Tw1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epsom salts are in, lets hope this clears up. The regal has been settling nicely and starting to find her gills in the tank, would be such a shame to loose her!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back