New RO Buddy set up with addition of water save unit. Flushing question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I got my RO buddy and set that up this weekend as well as installed my 150gpd water saver addon. Now I have a brand new membrane that needs flushing. Am I able to disconnect the RO line before the DI resin and flush as I used to while saving the resin from being used during the flush?

Didn't know if the entire system had to remain connected with all the ports on the ro buddy. Ready to start making water at a much quicker rate!!

Edit: can the ro line simply disconnect from the resin or would I need a RO to booster pump line in place of the DI-pump line while I'm doing the initial rinse on the new membrane?

20201205_130948.jpg

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you just follow the diagram/connections and it will flush and do everything for you. It should come with instructions on how to connect everything.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got it fully installed but I wondered if I should rinse the new membrane by disconnecting the RO line from where it plugs into the resin, or if the RO line should connect directly to the Buddy where the Resin In line goes.

Its only slightly more complicated because I added a water saver kit along with the ro buddy so I'm just wondering the best way to rinse the new membrane without exhausting resin.

Either disconnecting before the resin and not using those ports on the buddy where product water in and out lines are versus direct connecting ro membrane product water to the product water in line on the buddy, bypassing the resin. Just wasn't sure if it had to have lines connected to those ports or if I'm flushing a new membrane for an hour or so if I can just disconnect 2 of the 6 lines on the buddy and run the product line from the membrane down the drain. Hopefully that wasn't super confusing. Im always typing on my phone. :)

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would probably be easier overall to just cut some more ro tubing and connect membrane product water to the booster pump and disconnect the resin stage from that port. Then just flush 5 to 10 gallons through the whole system to get my new 2nd membrane rinsed well and reconnect the resin afterwards.

Apologies for the long post. Primary goal is to save running water through filters unnecessarily, but I change them out frequently anyways so mYbe its a trivial point.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back