New Salifert CA Test

Crotalus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Salifert CA test for over a year. It expires 2/22. I had a coral suddenly bleach out and discovered my CA was at 250. My doser container was empty.
So I started raising it slowly over a week. I got it up to 350, but decided to buy a new test. The new one expires in 2025. They have reformulated it, eliminating one liquid. Instead of 8 drops of a solution you immediately put in .6ml of your titrating solution. You get a color change and continue to titrate till the color changes back with the last .4ml. The new reading is 440. I repeated the test with the older kit, 350.

I now doubt both.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that solution you would want to start with dry Ca salt with the known amount of hydrates, need a good scale, fairly accurate, graduated cylinder to measure the liquid, and some math. Alternatively you could use a on line calculator ment for your brand Ca salt make a gallon set for an arbitrary Ca level. To make a smaller solution divide by the liters or milliliters depending on what you have to measure the salt, and liquid.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back