New scape version 1.0 Critique please.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first attempt at a kinda sorta NSA scape. I'm not creative by nature and have never been happy with my rockscapes. They usually look ok once they are covered with coral and nems . I have a bunch of dry rock so I went to work with a hammer, glue and mortar and this is what I came up with on my first attempt. It is 5 separate pieces. It will be going in a redsea reefer 300xl. Tank will be bare bottom. I want to place some SPS I'm growing out on the rocks with something spectacular to me (my standards are low) on the highest peak. I'll still have room for some of my Larger LPS on the bottom. I may make a corral in the center behind piece 4 with sand for my derasa clam. Still thinking this one over. The sand will probably make its way out. I like to keep an island or two for invasive species or encrusters. Pardon the videography I'm not much of a youtuber. What do you think? Yea Nay smash it start over ??
rocksacpe.jpg

Last edited:

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NSA is the worse kind of habitat for fish. Build a habitat, not an aquascape that appeals to you..

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NSA is the worse kind of habitat for fish. Build a habitat, not an aquascape that appeals to you..
Thanks but this tank is for me not fish. I have 3 other tanks full of fat healthy fish. I want to do mostly coral in this tank.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While not a huge fan of NSA systems for the reasons already mentioned in other replies, and since this is going to be predominantly for coral, I really like it. Whether you did so intentionally or not, this scape follows the rule of 3rds, and will draw the viewer's eye to key points on all visible sides of the tank. Well done.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not a huge fan of NSA systems for the reasons already mentioned in other replies, and since this is going to be predominantly for coral, I really like it. Whether you did so intentionally or not, this scape follows the rule of 3rds, and will draw the viewer's eye to key points on all visible sides of the tank. Well done.
Thank you. I did try to apply the rule of thirds as that is something I learned when I got into photograph years ago.

Last edited:

Surdokas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did all open aquascape as well. Give it a couple years of growth and it's nothing but habitat. Corals close in the gaps and don't get shadowed while giving habitat for fish.
20210507_171221.jpg

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Version 2.0. I picked up the tank today and got it all set up and it's bigger than I thought. I mean I measured but it's still bigger than I thought :zany-face: I added some more rock to make a higher point. My highest was 12" and the tank is 22. My highest point now is 16 inches. I still have everything modular in 5 pieces. I'm not sure about the opening between the two high points on the left. I've include stills with and without it bridged.
Opinions?
20230217_230829.jpg

20230217_234609.jpg

Disclaimer I am not a videoographer

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back