New setup white particles floating around after 6 weeks

Eman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new stepup going through the ugly brown phrase. I have a 120 gallon with 4 inch sand bed car special grade dry. I did rinse the sand as best as I could (120 lb). However, after the dust has settled i am still getting these white particles floating in the water. It in not Macrobubbles for sure. It looks to be coming from the sand bed so not sure if it is something that will go away over time or something I need to do to help clear up the tank? When pump is off the particals just float through the water. Nothing looks to be alive .

20210324_222832.jpg 20210324_222747.jpg

Nathancquinton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? How long did you try leaving your flow off? It's hard to tell based on the shot, but it looks like sand to me or it could also be some stuff that came off your rocks. Do you have a skimmer? UV Sterilizer? A bloom of some kind could also be it. Maybe try leaving your lights off and turning off flow for a bit since you only have fish so far. Hopefully someone with other or similar ideas chimes in too. Cheers

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Eman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? How long did you try leaving your flow off? It's hard to tell based on the shot, but it looks like sand to me or it could also be some stuff that came off your rocks. Do you have a skimmer? UV Sterilizer? A bloom of some kind could also be it. Maybe try leaving your lights off and turning off flow for a bit since you only have fish so far. Hopefully someone with other or similar ideas chimes in too. Cheers
My water parameters as all good. I leave it off for 30 minutes or so and the water is calm and it's just small particles just sitting in the water. I do have a UV that isn't running. Not a bloom I had that the first week. I'm thinking sand as well. Just didn't know how long it takes to clear up or if I can do something to help clear it up.

Attachments

• 20210324_222832.jpg
    20210324_222832.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210325_182720.mp4
    71.9 MB
Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have your powerheads about a third of the way down and pointed slightly upward. Could run floss or carbon if it gets worse.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Eman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have your powerheads about a third of the way down and pointed slightly upward. Could run floss or carbon if it gets worse.
I am looking into getting another powerhead bc the MP40 isn't directional or atleast I haven't figured out the feature that will push water upward with it yet.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a couple jebao in my 90 gallon. Cheap and effective

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am looking into getting another powerhead bc the MP40 isn't directional or atleast I haven't figured out the feature that will push water upward with it yet.
Koralia and koralia evolution pumps are directional as are cobalt and current loop pumps
As for suspended matter, see if you can create a running efect utilizing current to the overflow and have in run into a filter sock or nylon stocking to entrap the suspended minute particles you are experiencing.

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back