New setup with a few questions

SuthernReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, great site here. Seems the majority of my Google searches would lead me to this forum, so I figured I'd just go ahead and join lol.

Ran freshwater for years, but it's been almost 10 years since I've had a tank and Ive never attempted saltwater. Finally decided to jump in last week.

Got a 75 gallon that I plan to keep coral and fish. LPS and soft/later want to attempt sps for mixed coral. Currently, I'm sitting at about 7 days into my cycle. I have about 80 lbs of caribsea's fiji pink "Arag-alive" and 12 lbs of LIFE rock. I have 60 lbs of the Marco ReefSaver rock on the way that I'll be doing NSA aquascape with. Fluval Aquaclear 110 power filter and 2 Aqueon 950 powerheads.

Yesterday, I decided to get some clowns and bio-spira (small bottle for 50 gallons, was only thing in stock) to try and speed up the cycling process. Well, stupid me let the wife pick the fish. 2 Ocellaris and I never even paid attention to the health of the fish. Not typical of me, but for whatever reason, I was too stuck on looking at other products and had no interest in the fish other than for cycling. Big mistake. I get home and acclimate them to the tank water and soon as I put them in the aquarium, I notice the dreaded ich on the sides of the little clowns. I complain to the wife, but tell her it's not her fault, I should have been paying attention. I tell myself, no big deal, I've treated ich before. Then I decide to do some research and find out that marine ich is a different animal than freshwater ich. I thought I could kill it off by raising the temp and salt. Nope.

I've got some cupramine on the way, will check lfs tomorrow to see if they have it to start sooner and begin my 4-6 week journey of treating my fish and tank (no QT right now).

All of that to basically ask: Is 2 950's enough water flow for lps? Right now it seems like my clowns are trying to stay out of the flow and more would be even harder for fish to swim. Though I'm sure the current will change with aquascaping.

They have been in the bottom right corner of my tank for over 24 hours. Only move to get food. I'm curious if the water flow is too much or if it's the ich that has them staying there. There is a cave made from the life rock that they could use to get out of the flow, but they won't explore. I know it's probably the ich, but I ask because they seem to struggle to stay out of the current once they get in, but again they are very young. I have the jets pointing up and even turned 1 off. Tried both off and the filter off just to see if they would move but they stay in that corner. Powerheads are on opposite sides about 7 inches down from top and 4 inches off back wall.

Actually as I'm typing, one just went to the cave finally.

Temp is at 77°

Last checked water parameters day before adding fish and the bacteria. All was still zero across the board- Ammonia, Nitrite, and nitrate. Will check again tomorrow.

PH is 8.2

Salinity is 1.026

Questions:
How much more gph should I add? I get so many different answers when googling. With the openness of NSA, I worry the fish will struggle in so much current if I added more? Or is 2 950s enough for lps?

How do you determine between moderate flow and high flow for a given tank?

Do you want powerheads always pointing up or do you want it hitting everywhere water is calm?

Should I add my NSA aquascape before my 4-6 week Cupramine or wait? Guess I'm worried it'll absorb copper or ich parasites lol.

After those 6 weeks do you just do a water change and add carbon back to filter to neutralize copper? I will ofcourse keep check o copper levels.

Once ich and copper is taken care of, I can then add more fish and coral, correct?

Over the next few weeks I will upgrade lighting, get 4 stage RODI system, probably from BRS unless yall have other recommendations. And add an ATO.

Thanks in advance and I apologize for the long post.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sitting at about 7 days into my cycle. I have about 80 lbs of caribsea's fiji pink "Arag-alive" and 12 lbs of LIFE rock.

First issue to think about. Copper. When absorbed into rocks it become almost everlasting. You will prob never be able to have inverts. Crabs Snails Shrimp ect...
Then

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First issue to think about. Copper. When absorbed into rocks it become almost everlasting. You will prob never be able to have inverts. Crabs Snails Shrimp ect...
Then

+1 either remove the rocks or plan to get all new just to be safe. Otherwise down the road you may have "mystery" invert deaths from copper leaching back out.

For flow I'd stick with what you have and wait until your NSA is finished and in place prior to determining final placement of your current power heads and whether or not you will need more. If your going for a mixed reef you will need areas of high low and moderate flow depending on what you keep. So I would hold off purchasing any new power heads and grab a QT instead it'll be used more times than you can count down the road!

You can find tons of lighting advice here and from BRS. AI, kessils, Red Sea, Neptune's, etc. Tons of info on the sight!

For RO/DI depending on your source water you may want/need more than the 4 stage. Do you know any of your current water parameters? Things like incoming TDS, chlorine/chloramine content, are you on well or municipal, do you have any water quality reports of what is in your water, what is your incoming water pressure? All of those and more can help narrow down which system will serve your needs the best.

Welcome to the reefin ride!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend setting a small 10 gallon hospital tank, you can set one up for under $50, and medicate the fish in that. You can then use as a quarantine/hospital tank going forward. The main display will need to sit fallow for 76 days if you want to ensure there is no ich going forward (some people try to have ich free tanks, some just try manage, I’m the latter, I quarantine, but I know there is ich in my tank). The clowns are small and can stay in the hospital tank (add some PVC/plastic aquarium plants to make them feel more comfortable). But as mentioned, you really don’t want to put copper in your display tank.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add copper or any other meds to the newly setup system
You don’t necessarily need all power heads pointing up as long as the surface is moving it’s good .
the others can create flow throughout the tank

I’d invest in the rodi . It’s always good to start with a good Water source .

ato is good to have but can also be done manually . Although it’s a complete pain in the butt

What lighting do you have now ?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This point has been brought up but it's important enough that I'll say it also...do not add copper to a tank unless you plan on that tank only being for a fish hospital/qt tank. If setting up a hospital/qt tank is not an option then you could consider trying to treat using hyposalinity if the only living things in the tank are fish. I don't have any experience doing it, but I can link a thread from Humblefish talking about it.
Those 2 power heads shouldn't be too much for clownfish and are honestly toward the low end of flow for a reef tank. I generally shoot for something a little over 50X turnover in my tank.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got some cupramine on the way, will check lfs tomorrow to see if they have it to start sooner and begin my 4-6 week journey of treating my fish and tank (no QT right now).
Could also do the TTM for ich, tank transfer method. Couple of buckets is all you would need.
For RO/DI depending on your source water you may want/need more than the 4 stage. Do you know any of your current water parameters? Things like incoming TDS, chlorine/chloramine content, are you on well or municipal, do you have any water quality reports of what is in your water, what is your incoming water pressure? All of those and more can help narrow down which system will serve your needs the best.
This above is great advice. Knowing whats in your tap water before hand. Then you can design a RO/DI to fit your needs.

OP
OP
SuthernReefer

SuthernReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 1 of the fish are dead already. I'm guessing the other won't make it either. Since my tank has never really cycled, I'm researching the topic of draining my tank and drying everything out for 24-48 hours and starting over ‍♂️

Has anyone here ever had success with it? Would the LIFE rock and live sand need special treatment? New media in the filter? (Sponge, carbon, and biomax) Man what a bummer.

On the other hand, thanks for all the quick responses. I do have access to our water tests in our county and do know that it's chlorine treated. I did not know that copper would impact invertebrates later, but I feared it would. Glad y'all confirmed that. I will definitely invest in a qt.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people no longer cycle a tank with fish in it. Also, if they died that quick from the parasite are you sure it's ich and not velvet? I'd look into letting your tank go fallow before adding any more fish, which will give you plenty of time to cycle.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 145 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 64 26.9%
Back