New skimmer

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased Reef Octobus 1000 HOB. Went to CoralVue You Tube video to assemble. So far so good for my 100 gal FOWLER.
I use the classic reef octo. You're going to love it

OP
OP
BRENDA TRUITT

BRENDA TRUITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the classic reef octo. You're going to love it
Cup filling to the brim with water. No overflow as long as the top is on. Think its because i was using Algaefix and adding Safe occasionally.
16236316568741413918516.jpg

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cup filling to the brim with water. No overflow as long as the top is on. Think its because i was using Algaefix and adding Safe occasionally.
16236316568741413918516.jpg
Mine is a different style so can't help with calibration

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it needs to be tuned down. If that's the collection up you have it set too high.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Chemicals and additives will drive any skimmer crazy. Always turn off or turn down for at least 4 hours. Skimmers will remove a part of any additive that reaches it

OP
OP
BRENDA TRUITT

BRENDA TRUITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it needs to be tuned down. If that's the collection up you have it set too high.
Don’t know how to turn down. Waiting on water level to go down; may be the input is too far in water. Supposed to be just above water line. Yes, that is the collection cup. Put rock on top to keep closed.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know how to turn down. Waiting on water level to go down; may be the input is too far in water. Supposed to be just above water line. Yes, that is the collection cup. Put rock on top to keep closed.
Shouldn't be a need to hold it on there. I would google or check the manual for how to calibrate.

OP
OP
BRENDA TRUITT

BRENDA TRUITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemicals and additives will drive any skimmer crazy. Always turn off or turn down for at least 4 hours. Skimmers will remove a part of any additive that reaches it
Thought I would just let it work until the additives dissipate. Will not add anything else. Had placed an Algone filter in canister filter a few days before receiving my Reef Octopus. Think I’ll remove it, since the directions said it may affect protein skimmer.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would just let it work until the additives dissipate. Will not add anything else. Had placed an Algone filter in canister filter a few days before receiving my Reef Octopus. Think I’ll remove it, since the directions said it may affect protein skimmer.
There is also a break in period with skimmers. He's correct though, certain things can make skimmers go nuts.

OP
OP
BRENDA TRUITT

BRENDA TRUITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't be a need to hold it on there. I would google or check the manual for how to calibrate.
The amount of info online is slim to none. Will call CoralVue tomorrow. They will probably say it’s the additives, since this is a new skimmer. Will keep you posted.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the manual I found. You probably already have it, but may help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210613-231609_Office.jpg
    Screenshot_20210613-231609_Office.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 17

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein skimmers only touch the gph of water flow through them the pump provides. Also it wont take anything out unless its functioning properly. Even than its not like it just overflows all the time with bubbles. Lol. If it does ur not running it right.
D

OP
OP
BRENDA TRUITT

BRENDA TRUITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the manual I found. You probably already have it, but may help.
Yes. As u c, very limited instructions. CoralVue has ONE video online, which I used to assemble and get it started. The cup almost immediately filled up, which I think are the additives I had been using prior to upgrading my skimmer.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. As u c, very limited instructions. CoralVue has ONE video online, which I used to assemble and get it started. The cup almost immediately filled up, which I think are the additives I had been using prior to upgrading my skimmer.
Is there a plug in the bottom of the cup? Could run some hose to a jug on the floor to prevent overflow. May just need some breaking in.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you did steps 2 through 4 correctly then there isn't any other adjustment it seems.

OP
OP
BRENDA TRUITT

BRENDA TRUITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a plug in the bottom of the cup? Could run some hose to a jug on the floor to prevent overflow. May just need some breaking in.
I’ve been watching it since yesterday. No overflow with the top on. It’s brand new, so… gonna do a little tweaking tomorrow. Try and be patient during the break in period.

Back