New small clown with possible Ich spots?

BadMatt14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a little clownfish today for my 75 gallon reef tank and I put him in and 10 minutes later he had white spots. He didn’t have any at the store they just appeared so I took him out right away and put him in a 5 gallon QT. Are these spots ich? I would like to get started on treatment right away. If you look really close you can see the spots.

image.jpg 198B0B60-9859-49D2-8F45-72A25742371C.jpeg

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if it is ich...then you've probably introduced it into the 75 gallon display....

Do the spots "stick out" from the skin like salt crystals do? Or are they more smoothish? I doubt that it's ich if it's the latter, but I would still keep the clown in quarantine for a while to observe for any other diseases/parasites in the tank.

AlessandroB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 10 minutes it seems a rather sudden onset. Not to criticize but if you had a QT ready why not letting the fish acclimatize (and quarantine) there first? Honestly I think we all tend to overreact a little at the first sight of a white spot, but we don’t consider how much stress is for the fish that is trying to acclimatize to the DT to be fished out and put in a sometimes improvised QT.
In my (limited) experience, there are some diseases (velvet, brooklynella) that require immediate isolation and treatment, but a suspicion of ich is not one of those.

OP
OP
BadMatt14

BadMatt14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if it is ich...then you've probably introduced it into the 75 gallon display....

Do the spots "stick out" from the skin like salt crystals do? Or are they more smoothish? I doubt that it's ich if it's the latter, but I would still keep the clown in quarantine for a while to observe for any other diseases/parasites in the tank.
It looks to be smooth like his scales are discolored. I’m gonna go ahead and quartile him and watch how he does

OP
OP
BadMatt14

BadMatt14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 10 minutes it seems a rather sudden onset. Not to criticize but if you had a QT ready why not letting the fish acclimatize (and quarantine) there first? Honestly I think we all tend to overreact a little at the first sight of a white spot, but we don’t consider how much stress is for the fish that is trying to acclimatize to the DT to be fished out and put in a sometimes improvised QT.
In my (limited) experience, there are some diseases (velvet, brooklynella) that require immediate isolation and treatment, but a suspicion of ich is not one of those.
Unfortunately I didn’t have one immediately because I’m still new to the hobby. I had to rush to get one set up and put some bacteria in it. It’s multiple white spots and he doesn’t seem to be stressed. I thought he was stressed but I put him in just to be safe

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
At minimum, give it a freshwater dip.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How do I go about doing that?
In a CLEAN BUCKET, prepare fresh water the same temperature as tank and add dechlorinator and allow fish to swim in it 3-5 minutes ir Sooner if it complains.
Will remove flukes and calm down brooklynella if it is the start of brooklynella

OP
OP
BadMatt14

BadMatt14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a CLEAN BUCKET, prepare fresh water the same temperature as tank and add dechlorinator and allow fish to swim in it 3-5 minutes ir Sooner if it complains.
Will remove flukes and calm down brooklynella if it is the start of brooklynella
Alright I’ll try it tomorrow, thank you for the info!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back