New Smaller Gyre Please!

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone from Maxspect read the threads, I hope they do, but I wanted to get my opinion out there. I'm still relatively new to the hobby, just added a pair of clowns to my 20 gallon tank last night, so again just is just my opinion and an observation.

Maxspect came out with a cap for their Gyre XF130 that makes it even smaller by removing one of the propellers and covers and caps it off.

http://www.coralvue.com/maxspect-gyre-xf130-cap

They designed it for nano tanks, like the one I have, but here is my issue with it. As of right now we would have to buy the $240 XF130 and the cap (price?) and only use half of what we paid for. So why not just design a new Gyre that only has one propeller and make it cheaper? They could start selling it with only one propeller and if you upgrade to a bigger tank you could buy the other side to make it a whole XF130.

Some of you may say that you'll need the other propeller if something happens to the one you are using. True but it was designed that you cannot switch the sides of the propeller. You could just switch which side the cap is on. But how ofter do you find you need to replace the propeller. Hard to say with how new the product is.

Again this is just my view on it. I haven't used it, and not sure if I even can until I get a bigger tank, I'm not talking with first hand experience.

I welcome everyone thoughts on this.

pastelball

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's nice they made a cap for it to be used in smaller tanks. It would be nice to have one that just came with maybe a smaller motor with one side. I am interested in one for my 5 gallon but for 239.00 plus have to buy the cap really don't see that happening.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think even with the cap the powerhead would look huge in a 20 gal tank. Smaller pump, thinner design is really what a nano tank could use.

pastelball

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There would be a good market for that. Nano tanks are in right now grab the market.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back