New snowflake bullet clownfish pair...Just arrived...beautiful, active but won't eat.

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I received a pair of snowflake bullet clownfish and a royal gramma who are adjusting in the hospital tank. They are beautiful and active. It's been 5 hours since arrival, so I thought I would give them a snack to see if they are ready to eat. Upon feeding mysis, Royal Gramma zipped around and ate. The 2 clownfish weren't interested. I waited another hour and fed a few flakes. No interest. They looked at it...gave it a test drive and spit it back out again.

I have emailed the fish seller to see what they were feeding their stock. They haven't replied yet.

So, in reading other articles on R-R clownfish it was suggested to try....

Change up diet adding foods such as:
Spirulina brine shrimp (tried this)
Hikari marine cuisine
Small plankton
LRS fish frenzy

I don't have the Hikari, plankton or LRS fish frenzy in house. Are there other foods you have tried?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Clowns 10-14.JPG

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I received a pair of snowflake bullet clownfish and a royal gramma who are adjusting in the hospital tank. They are beautiful and active. It's been 5 hours since arrival, so I thought I would give them a snack to see if they are ready to eat. Upon feeding mysis, Royal Gramma zipped around and ate. The 2 clownfish weren't interested. I waited another hour and fed a few flakes. No interest. They looked at it...gave it a test drive and spit it back out again.

I have emailed the fish seller to see what they were feeding their stock. They haven't replied yet.

Hikari marine cuisine
Small plankton
LRS fish frenzy

I don't have the Hikari, plankton or LRS fish frenzy in house. Are there other foods you have tried?

Clowns 10-14.JPG

The last pair of clowns I purchased one ate day 1 and the other didn't start until about day 3.

Mine eventually went for the baby brine and now they eat flakes, pellets, frozen, EVERYTHING!!

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last pair of clowns I purchased one ate day 1 and the other didn't start until about day 3.

Mine eventually went for the baby brine and now they eat flakes, pellets, frozen, EVERYTHING!!
I know it's early on...they are super personable and active and were acting hungry when I put the pipet on trial in the tank. I will try a few myisis with sp in the morning. Gramma is super small...just an inch. Yet, eats like a champ...go figure

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can I ask what pellet you like to feed. I have been mostly feeding my tank brine, mysis, bloodworms, but would like to add in a pellet here an there for additional variety/nutrients.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask what pellet you like to feed. I have been mostly feeding my tank brine, mysis, bloodworms, but would like to add in a pellet here an there for additional variety/nutrients.

I have the New Life Spectrum Probiotix small pellet

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may take a day or two for them to eat there most likely stressed. They may also be shy eaters and eat when your not around.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hikari marine cuisine
Small plankton
LRS fish frenzy

Clowns 10-14.JPG
How big are they? When I first got my premium frostbites they were <1” long. They wouldn’t eat anything but pods for the first week or so. Then they finally started to eat baby bribe shrimp (frozen). Now they eat anything I throw in the tank and still much on my pods

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- clowns have been in tank now about 7 weeks and are thriving. Eat anything fed. Royal gramma is small but mighty. 6-line gave him a hard time upon main tank entry but after a week of hiding in various rocks he just went out and demanded a swim. He stood his ground and all have been good since.
snowflake bullet clowns are so cool… great add to the tank. Now to get the rainbow anemone to perk up. It decided to hide under the rock… in the dark. It has reduced substantially in size due to its hiding. Lost color. It’s been in the tank 2 months… giving it time to settle. Crossing fingers it will see the light- literally. I have flipped the rock around and he just moves to the dark side….

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update- clowns have been in tank now about 7 weeks and are thriving. Eat anything fed. Royal gramma is small but mighty. 6-line gave him a hard time upon main tank entry but after a week of hiding in various rocks he just went out and demanded a swim. He stood his ground and all have been good since.
snowflake bullet clowns are so cool… great add to the tank. Now to get the rainbow anemone to perk up. It decided to hide under the rock… in the dark. It has reduced substantially in size due to its hiding. Lost color. It’s been in the tank 2 months… giving it time to settle. Crossing fingers it will see the light- literally. I have flipped the rock around and he just moves to the dark side….
Does your light have an acclimation mode or a low light setting? I think that might help it adjust better.

OP
OP
pbrown

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept the lighting low and gradually increased. Go figure once I posted this it moved to the top of rock this morning. Will run lower lights today and build up over time to see if we can get him to stay on top. Thanks for the feedback!

Back