New stand dilema

Munch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm having a dilemma with my new stand I plan on building. The tank has a bottom trim that structural, so it's clear the edge of the tank must be supported properly.

The issue I'm running into is I want to tile the outside of my stand, yet not have the base of the stand be outside the lines of the tank once the tile is on it.

The info below is essentially a profile shot. My question is, if my base (green)is 3/4" plywood to support the tank (black), normally the stand (yellow) would be right to the edge below, but in my case I need the stand to be 5/8" in, so once I attach the tile (red), it's flush with the tank. In this case, the base (green) is cantalevered the 5/8" to accommodate the tile.

How significant of an issue is this?

Am I risking the structural integrity?

I'm thinking I probably cannot do this, as the weight of the tank is carried by the outer edge, anyone have ideas? Or do I need to suck it up, build the stand normally, and have my tile be 5/8" outside from the tank itself?

stand.jpg

Last edited:

shovelrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very possible. Your measurements will have to be exact though. You will want the stand's frame as close to the tank's trim as possible and the 3/4'' ply will distribute the tanks load to the stand frame. Keep in mind the larger the tank, the beefier the building materials should be for support.

What size tank are you puttting on this stand?

OP
OP
Munch

Munch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon. The concern is all of the weight of the tank is pressed right to the edge trim pieces at the bottom. None of the bottom glass with rest of the 3/4" ply.

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U can build a smaller frame for the top.
Then put the plywood ontop of it.
Add in support once it on and you know where the tank will sit on it.

It can be done just needs a little more support in different places

Xingu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had tanks overhang the stand by several inches, you should be fine. I agree with putting plywood on top if you are worried about it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back