New sulfur denitrator working great!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@patoko878 Have you tried a GFO reactor to lower your Phosphates, it worked for me. I run a BRS single reactor with combination of GFO and GAC.

That does sound like a lot of food too. Try to cut it back a bit and see if it helps.

patoko878

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have the GFO rowaphos reactor. I think it’s really the feeding. Done almost everything by the book. Wife admitted she was guilty feeding more than I do when I’m not around. She wants the fish “happy and fat”

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a copy/paste from a thread Icreated hoping to centralize info:

My journey began about 2 months ago when I installed a Korallen BioDenitrator on my 180g cube fed with an Aqualifter.
After following the included directions, my effluent was still measuring NO3 equal to the tank at the 7-8 week mark. I read somewhere on these forums that trapped air could be the cause and to upgrade the pump.

I banged out a decent amount of air by basically shaking the reactor until no more bubbles surfaced and were pumped out. I then used my manifold and upgraded 3/8" tubing to power the reactor.

What am I missing? Will this start the timer over again?

Also - i did notice Alk consumption go up after adding the reactor which should mean that the reactor is working.

What should be my next steps here? I currently went back to the beginning @ 1 drip per 2 seconds and plan to wait a week to test.

Any advice is hugely appreciated.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't that a very slow drip rate? I thought you were supposed to have 1-2 drips per second. That is what mine is set at.

greg 45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no set drip rate on any sulfur reactor . You need to tune it to your system . You can up the rate to where the water still come out zero nitrates. I run a Aquarium engineering sulfur reactor the flow is around 200 ml min .

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no set drip rate on any sulfur reactor . You need to tune it to your system . You can up the rate to where the water still come out zero nitrates. I run a Aquarium engineering sulfur reactor the flow is around 200 ml min .

As I understand it - I keep the set drip rate (1 per 2 seconds) until it read 0. Then I can gradually increase it until NO2 starts to register then dial back a bit?

I dont understand where I am going wrong - I have seen/heard of people with this same reactor open full bore with 0 NO3 effluent.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve typically seen 3 drops/sec as the initial set up period flow.

I’ve been using mine for 7 months and couldn’t be happier. Best NO3 control method I’ve used.

Are you measuring ORP inside the reactor? That’s how I determine whether the reactor is operating correctly. Small adjustments to effluent rate can have a large effect on ORP

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve typically seen 3 drops/sec as the initial set up period flow.

I’ve been using mine for 7 months and couldn’t be happier. Best NO3 control method I’ve used.

Are you measuring ORP inside the reactor? That’s how I determine whether the reactor is operating correctly. Small adjustments to effluent rate can have a large effect on ORP

Just curious, where do you set it?

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
You never detected any H2S smell at that value? :)

Nope. Not once so far and that was one of my initial concerns before getting the unit.

There have been times when the flow rate decreases too much and the conductivity will go much lower and I start to see some dark matter on the surface of the sulfur... i’ll then flush the reactor but I’ve never smelled any H2S or had any negative effect on the livestock.

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started a new sulfur reactor on my 650 gallon reef. Has brought down nitrates in 4 weeks.

upload_2018-9-12_13-0-32.png

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. How do you feed it? Is that a secondary chamber for the SD?

I’m still happy with mine. Keep nitrate pretty constant at 3ppm. Only challenge i have is keeping the drip rate constant.

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. How do you feed it? Is that a secondary chamber for the SD?

I’m still happy with mine. Keep nitrate pretty constant at 3ppm. Only challenge i have is keeping the drip rate constant.
I am using a small power head and yes I have a secondary chamber setup for it. I haven't had any issues with drip rate. I use a graduated cylinder to count mls. Easier than trying to count drip rate.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back