new sump, whats this compartment for?

lucasxsantos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i picked up this new sump can't figure out what this compartment is used for? the only holes are those at the very top that you see on the picture and theres a pipe that goes all the way down in a cup im not sure what any of these are for, also theres another compartment behind that one that the only connection to the sump are the little holes at the very top which is also on the picture no other connection to the rest of the sump

sump1.jpg sump2.jpg

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be a refugium. With it being second hand, who knows what the previous owner did with that random pipe with barbed fitting. Maybe that was their e drain or second drain. But my guess is refugium. Look in the bubble trap for your return pump area and I'd assume there's probably more holes to that chamber.

OP
OP
L

lucasxsantos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I figured it was a refugium maybe but I just thought the water would be so high the only holes are those at the top, and the tube is a huge mystery

OP
OP
L

lucasxsantos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be a refugium. With it being second hand, who knows what the previous owner did with that random pipe with barbed fitting. Maybe that was their e drain or second drain. But my guess is refugium. Look in the bubble trap for your return pump area and I'd assume there's probably more holes to that chamber.
I’m gonna check if there’s more holes in there closely when I get home, I was hoping maybe someone has done that same style pipe and would let me know what it would be used for, I was thinking it’s an ato tube but idk

OP
OP
L

lucasxsantos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah no other holes other than that one on the video and pictures, I don’t see how the water will enter there and come out if there’s no flow from there what a weird sump right?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah no other holes other than that one on the video and pictures, I don’t see how the water will enter there and come out if there’s no flow from there what a weird sump right?
Does the pipe go all the way to the bottom or is there room for a small pump to be attached? I'm wondering if it was used as a rodi reservoir and had an ATO connected...?

OP
OP
L

lucasxsantos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the pipe go all the way to the bottom or is there room for a small pump to be attached? I'm wondering if it was used as a rodi reservoir and had an ATO connected...?
I was thinking to maybe make that a refigium but I was concerned that there’s no flow in that chamber so how would I benefit from a refigium but then a light hit me and I was thinking maybe I can add an extension drain pipe to that one connection then all the water that goes in there is forced to come out into the protein skimmer that would be a good idea what you think? And then leave that last department there for ato reservoir on the far right

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking to maybe make that a refigium but I was concerned that there’s no flow in that chamber so how would I benefit from a refigium but then a light hit me and I was thinking maybe I can add an extension drain pipe to that one connection then all the water that goes in there is forced to come out into the protein skimmer that would be a good idea what you think? And then leave that last department there for ato reservoir on the far right
It’s designed as a fuge but it’s designed poorly for the mere fact it will collect all the detrius if fed from a drain.. most fuge are slow flow to allow pods etc to culture.. you can feed it off your return pump which is much better but chateo and what not will collect a lot of detrius from the low flow either way.

OP
OP
L

lucasxsantos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s designed as a fuge but it’s designed poorly for the mere fact it will collect all the detrius if fed from a drain.. most fuge are slow flow to allow pods etc to culture.. you can feed it off your return pump which is much better but chateo and what not will collect a lot of detrius from the low flow either way.
Sounds good that’s what I’m gonna do then, run a hose from the return pump into that pipe, about the detritus I’ll just clean the fug every like 6 months or something should be good right?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good that’s what I’m gonna do then, run a hose from the return pump into that pipe, about the detritus I’ll just clean the fug every like 6 months or something should be good right?
Sounds like a good plan… as long as it’s not fed off your drain you’ll be okay… the little cup thingy in the bottom acts as a bubble trap so it doesn’t catch anything..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back