New Tang advice

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I’ve just finished acclimating my first Tang (Tomini) I’ve bought mega marine algae for him and nori . My question is when should I introduce the nori?
thank you in advance

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone,
I’ve just finished acclimating my first Tang (Tomini) I’ve bought mega marine algae for him and nori . My question is when should I introduce the nori?
thank you in advance
Start feeding immediately. Tomini tangs, and others of the genus Ctenochaetus are more slime eaters / detritivores, so it may be hit or miss if it takes to the nori. You may consider offering Masstick as well.

Fishrocker1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had trouble in the past getting bristletooth tangs like Koles, Whitetails, and Tominis to eat nori. They'll typically prefer to graze on your rockscape before considering touching a sheet of nori. I've had great results getting them adapted to eating whilst in quarantine and leaving a clip in for a few hours as that will be their only source of food. This trick has also worked for me with picky foxfaces as well. However, if you've already quarantined the fish and don't wish to wait any longer, just feed spirulina mysis shrimp which are gut fed to support herbivore and omnivore diets. I've been using it for a while and have never had a problem with it even with my picky fish.
1675896932741.png

OP
OP
N

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, thanks everyone. I’ll pop a couple small pieces into the tank. I’ve historically been conservative with respect to feeding mostly because I’m Leary of poor water quality issues. The little guy has already started picking at the rocks and had eaten food that was offered. I’m happy to be off on a good start.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Perfect, thanks everyone. I’ll pop a couple small pieces into the tank. I’ve historically been conservative with respect to feeding mostly because I’m Leary of poor water quality issues. The little guy has already started picking at the rocks and had eaten food that was offered. I’m happy to be off on a good start.
Tailor your filtration to the nutrition of your tank's inhabitants, not their nutrition to your filtration.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone,
thank you in advance
Nori is one that has to be accepted by given tang and some will dive into it while others will step back and watch the tangs devour it and over time join in. Having 22 tangs (just added one), my newest has Not gone after it but has eaten the scraps as my tangs tear it apart. Mega marine is good but fish will need other foods with fats and aminos. Add LRS fish frenzy, mysis shrimp, spirulina brine shrimp and Formula 2 frozen. For dry, TDO pellets and Mysis orveggie flakes such as Ocean nutrition.
This 8" X 8" sheet of nori basted with garlic extract lasted 56 seconds:

400g10.jpg
400g12.jpg

OP
OP
N

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow beautiful looking system.
should I remove uneaten nori after the light go off or just leave it in the tank?
As far as feeding, I’ve started to mix up food and only add small amounts (enough that it’s eaten in 30 seconds to a min). I’ll repeat this multiple times rather than dumping in one large helping.
Dose this sound Okay? I’m only 2 years into the hobby , all advice is welcome.

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, don't spoil him, let him adjust to the tank and do his job. His job is not to eat nori but to pick your rock and the surrounding areas clean. If you tank is clean of natural foods then yes hook him up with a little a couple times a week. He's in your tank for a purpose, don't forget it. Our rabbit fish looks at gha like "you got any tomatoes to put on this" lol. Don't spoil him

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wow beautiful looking system.
should I remove uneaten nori after the light go off or just leave it in the tank?
As far as feeding, I’ve started to mix up food and only add small amounts (enough that it’s eaten in 30 seconds to a min). I’ll repeat this multiple times rather than dumping in one large helping.
Dose this sound Okay? I’m only 2 years into the hobby , all advice is welcome.
No- they will get to it.
As for feeding- you are doing it right. I spoon feed what they can consume in a minute. ITS EASIER TO ADD FOOD THAN TO REMOVE IT

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't over do it and yes remove what they haven't consumed. High in phosphates and coral hate when they get wrapped in it. Let me see uneaten nori under anything would be what I want in my tank.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
thank you in advance
Immediately, but he might not eat it. They’re pickers and grazers more than nori hogs. But in time he may eat it, especially if he sees other fish doing so.

Do you have algae on your rock for him to graze on?

OP
OP
N

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect thanks everyone.
My rocks do have algae, so he’s got lots of munching options. Here’s a quick look at him.

Attachments

• IMG_9848.MOV
    58.3 MB
OP
OP
N

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help, my new little friend is more out and about 24 hours after being added to the tank. He’s actively picking at rocks and eating anything added to the tank. He doesn’t seem interested in nori now. I’ve added some red branching maco algae from my sump and will try adding small strips of nori now and then.
take care

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back