New Tang Behaving bad

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I bought a biota yellow tang from my local dealer, he was extremely small when i got him. I have had him in an acclimation box for abought a month now in the tank. The dealer quartintines them for me. He has eaten every day and has been getting more and more daring every day. i was going to release him into the tank next week. But 2 days ago he has refused food and is barely swimming. he clings to the rock i placed in there at the start as well as almost swimming sideways. any idea what this could be? i can provide before and after photos if needed!

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AE940C5A-C8C2-48E9-90BB-32AC3F0C73DA.jpeg
A0F29D62-33B7-4B32-9D9B-7CD633888FFC.jpeg

these are the two positions he’s been swapping between for the past two days

below is what he looked like before
01813754-808B-4C09-BC5E-34DC03AE9150.jpeg
EA420476-F2A8-437B-B85E-0B8B66133052.jpeg

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering, was there a particular reason you had it in the box for that long? Most time I’ve seen people mention it it’s for a few days or to help with aggression from tankmates

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering, was there a particular reason you had it in the box for that long? Most time I’ve seen people mention it it’s for a few days or to help with aggression from tankmates
More just because he was so tiny! I had one previously about 2 months prior, same size, perished in the tank and it was recommended from the dealer that I keep him there for Atleast 30 days

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an update I opened the Lid and moved the box to the sand bed. Maybe this will help, not sure, the lights are off now so maybe it’ll make things more comfortable

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A month in an acclimation box where it can barely swim around? I would be lethargic and not eating either after a month of that treatment.
He never showed signs of stress or discomfort, I was just going by what was recommended to me

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He never showed signs of stress or discomfort, I was just going by what was recommended to me
Don’t listen to a lfs.. most of the time they’re just looking to make a sell! Do you research and or come on here and ask like you’re doing now! Hopefully it’s not too late.. :(

OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t listen to a lfs.. most of the time they’re just looking to make a sell! Do you research and or come on here and ask like you’re doing now! Hopefully it’s not too late.. :(
Yeah I usually don’t purchase smaller fish, but for yellow tangs it’s hard to find them let alone a matured one. Most LFS I would agree with that statement but these guys are very reputable. I’ll say this was my error.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is stress or discomfort that you're seeing right now. That's not "behaving bad" any more than a dog whimpering in distress is behaving bad.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back