New tang fins

jokerjohnson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon, this is my new BIOTA yellow tang. Small little guy. Purchased this from a local LFS yesterday. In the shop I noticed all the little new boots yellow tangs had fins that looked damaged. Was told my owner that they usually come with some fins nipped from shipping from all the fish in there. Currently put my tang inside my 40 gallon aquatop (have a 150 he’s going into after a few months). Tank mates flame angel, yellow candy hogfish, 2 clowns, watchman goby. The flame definitely has shown some signs of aggression at first, today it’s gotten alot better flame is swimming together letting the tang swim around and only occasionally kind of chasing the tang around But is no longer fluffing fins and trying to ram into the tang.
hoping the aggression dies completly down after a few more days. What does someone think about these fins? Gonna be feeding well and soaking food in selcon daily. Anything else I should do?
and once again, tang police the tang is tiny and will be going into 150 within 30-50 days.

78AC15F4-5551-46EA-81F3-6BA6D2F3BD11.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon, this is my new BIOTA yellow tang. Small little guy. Purchased this from a local LFS yesterday. In the shop I noticed all the little new boots yellow tangs had fins that looked damaged. Was told my owner that they usually come with some fins nipped from shipping from all the fish in there. Currently put my tang inside my 40 gallon aquatop (have a 150 he’s going into after a few months). Tank mates flame angel, yellow candy hogfish, 2 clowns, watchman goby. The flame definitely has shown some signs of aggression at first, today it’s gotten alot better flame is swimming together letting the tang swim around and only occasionally kind of chasing the tang around But is no longer fluffing fins and trying to ram into the tang.
hoping the aggression dies completly down after a few more days. What does someone think about these fins? Gonna be feeding well and soaking food in selcon daily. Anything else I should do?
and once again, tang police the tang is tiny and will be going into 150 within 30-50 days.

78AC15F4-5551-46EA-81F3-6BA6D2F3BD11.png
That’s moderate fin damage, but should heal on its own if the flame angel leaves it alone. If you see signs of secondary infection: white or red patches, continued fin erosion or any other symptoms, you might need to treat with antibiotics in a treatment tank.
This fin damage didn’t happen during shipping. Either Biota packed them with that damage (highly unlikely) or it happened at the LFS tank.
Jay

OP
OP
J

jokerjohnson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish were only in the store for a day before I got one, and they were only in a tank with themselves like 5-7 biota yellow tangs. The fins looked like that before I got it into the tank. I’m hoping it settles down with the flame it definitely was on 10 when I first put the tang in, but today (14 hour later) they were swimming around eachother and only occasionally the flame would chase it so I’d say maybe a (3-4) in terms of irritability from the flame.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You may need to get an isolation/acclimation box as I understand the desire to have them both in the same tank and isolate the flame for at least two weeks. As jay stated, this is not a circumstance for treatment but if it continues- it will be

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back