New Tangs

floridabromo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a yellow tang and it has done perfectly fine for a few weeks now so I am looking to get a second tang.. what would be a good tang that would be fine with a yellow tang?

OP
OP
floridabromo

floridabromo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a pair of lightning maroon clowns, coral beauty, 2 pj cardinals, and a yellow tang. I have 2 anemones, a rainbow urchin, harlequin shrimp, and 2 peppermint shrimp and a bunch of snails and hermit crabs.. and then I just have a bunch of corals

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a pair of lightning maroon clowns, coral beauty, 2 pj cardinals, and a yellow tang. I have 2 anemones, a rainbow urchin, harlequin shrimp, and 2 peppermint shrimp and a bunch of snails and hermit crabs.. and then I just have a bunch of corals
If you don't quarantine, your odds are best avoiding acanthurus genus tangs. You could try bristletooth tangs like Kole

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55G that I use for quadantine
Have all your fish been treated as if they have ich or velvet? If you've treated them all in therapeutic levels of copper or CP for 30 days, you could try an acanthurus tang!

OP
OP
floridabromo

floridabromo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind, I googled and answered my own question :)
Out of all of the Acanthurus which would you recommend for more of an easier to care for?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of all of the Acanthurus which would you recommend for more of an easier to care for?
Orange shoulder is one of the hardier acanthurus tangs!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've properly treated all fish, a powder blue way work out fine -- they're just very aggressive and likely to bully anything and everything you add later (especially tangs, butterflies, and sometimes angels).

If you slipped up anywhere, you'll know really fast with a powder blue! I call it the "ich gauge".

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found mimic tangs to be relatively hardy and pretty peaceful for Acanthurus tangs.

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reading this and curious, you treat them for ich while in quarantine just in case? Should they be treated as a precaution for other things before introducing them to your tank?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reading this and curious, you treat them for ich while in quarantine just in case? Should they be treated as a precaution for other things before introducing them to your tank?
I recommend treating for velvet. Copper treats both ich and velvet.

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend treating for velvet. Copper treats both ich and velvet.
How long should they be quarantined? I'm kind of new to this, I've had the same saltwater fish for a long time but I am now just adding more fish, I don't want to add them to my established tank without quarantining them first, I'm working on setting up a 20g tank to use for this. In the past I've just added the new fish and so far so good..no issues, but I know that's not ideal.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should they be quarantined? I'm kind of new to this, I've had the same saltwater fish for a long time but I am now just adding more fish, I don't want to add them to my established tank without quarantining them first, I'm working on setting up a 20g tank to use for this. In the past I've just added the new fish and so far so good..no issues, but I know that's not ideal.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-dos-and-don’ts-of-quarantine.203898/

Qt is recommended, but to be effective you would need to treat the fish you already have as well.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! That info will be very helpful when I get more fish! The only thing I don't understand is fallow, what is that?
A fallow tank is where there absolutely no fish in the system for a specific period of time (76 days if memory serves me right), to allow the life cycle of fish parasites to run their course without a host so that they die off.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back