New tank advice algea...

Cclranger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank has had I think 2 diatom blooms. I have green algea now. I am thinking about getting a small protein skimmer. 40 gallon tank. All live rock and live sand. Any thoughts on a small protein skimmer? Does the new green algea look like it's getting out of control? The Duncan coral is growing fast and all the fish are happy. Two skunk clowns and two Oscar's. I have a blenny and an eel wrasse? Hard to get a picture of him. I have a clean up crew....6 hermits. 4 sand snails and a few turbos. Two cleaner shrimp and two BTA s. I am not planning on adding anymore fish. I have a 20 gallon cycling now since the Oscar pair are mated I want them to be happy and start getting it on. Nitrates keep getting up there towards about 20 to 25 ppm. Normal or would a protein skimmer help? I have a dual currentusa pro led lighting system with a marine land power head and two of the programmed wave pumps programmed with my lights. Anyways thoughts? Thanks yall!

Side thought. I need to change out filter tomorrow. Will it help my new tank to cycle a bit faster if I just swap the funky filter into the same power head in my new tank that is cycling? Figured the algea and junk in the filter would be good for the new tank to cycle....

16171422282954425681564730746763.jpg 16171424319407069144587405055347.jpg

Attachments

• 20210330_171100.mp4
    68.5 MB

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein skimmer will help. Algae looks normal though. Also may not want the artificial decorations in there.

OP
OP
Cclranger

Cclranger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein skimmer will help. Algae looks normal though. Also may not want the artificial decorations in there.
The only artificial is the funny looking white branchy thing on the left side. Everything else is live rock. Should I remove it? Never thought of artificial crap in there. Is it bad? Thank you!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have the little SpongeBob house in the other tank also. Usually those are used for fresh water. They won't be beneficial and who knows if harmful

OutLawX77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes a good Hang on the back skimmer will help turn down the whites on the current USAs slowly 2 to 3% ever day till my whites are at 20% stay 100% blue no red no green
till the bloom(s) goes away
Water changes I would do a 75% for 2 days
I would also run some chemipure to help balance water chemistry
AND cut back on the food feed to the fish no flakes frozen like cyclops among others..
maybe some extra bacteria that eats algae.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The spongebob item is likely resin and reef safe. Would be no different than a flower pot for breeding.
As for algae, you can reduce white light intensity for slower formation. What I do not see are cleaner crew. Add a few snails:
4 turbo
4 astrea
3 cerith
3 nassarius
2 margarita
6 caribbean blue leg hermits

Assure also that nitrates and phosphates are not becoming elevated
Ammonia < .03
Phosphate < .04
Nitrate < .4
temp 77-79
salinity 1.025
ph 8.1-8.3

OP
OP
Cclranger

Cclranger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes a good Hang on the back skimmer will help turn down the whites on the current USAs slowly 2 to 3% ever day till my whites are at 20% stay 100% blue no red no green
till the bloom(s) goes away
Water changes I would do a 75% for 2 days
I would also run some chemipure to help balance water chemistry
AND cut back on the food feed to the fish no flakes frozen like cyclops among others..
maybe some extra bacteria that eats algae.
%75 both days? That seems like a lot would that shock my livestock? I have an rodi unit just worried about throwing it out of whack. I have the micron polishing filters should I run one of those for a few days?

OP
OP
Cclranger

Cclranger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spongebob item is likely resin and reef safe. Would be no different than a flower pot for breeding.
As for algae, you can reduce white light intensity for slower formation. What I do not see are cleaner crew. Add a few snails:
4 turbo
4 astrea
3 cerith
3 nassarius
2 margarita

Ammonia < .03
Phosphate < .04
Nitrate < .4
temp 77-79
salinity 1.025
ph 8.1-8.3
I pretty much have that exact cuc. There just behind other stuff atm. I was thinking of getting some more though?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I pretty much have that exact cuc. There just behind other stuff atm. I was thinking of getting some more though?
Try to have a total number as suggested based on your tank size.

OP
OP
Cclranger

Cclranger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 turbo
4 astrea
3 cerith
3 nassarius
2 margarita

Ammonia < .03
Phosphate < .04
Nitrate < .4
temp 77-79
salinity 1.025
ph 8.1-8.3
I have 3 emerald crabs that hitchhiked in...they don't really help other than cleaning up left overs from feedings I think.

OP
OP
Cclranger

Cclranger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 turbo
4 astrea
3 cerith
3 nassarius
2 margarita

Ammonia < .03
Phosphate < .04
Nitrate < .4
temp 77-79
salinity 1.025
ph 8.1-8.3
Your talking about the tank with spongebobs house?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small cuc right now. 2 of each just now crabs.
You have a pretty good grouping of CUC, and tank looks like inhabitants are doing well. A couple more snails wouldn't hurt, and if you can find one either a Strawberry or Fighting Conch would help keep the sandbed clean, fairly hardy, plus fun to watch.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have 3 emerald crabs that hitchhiked in...they don't really help other than cleaning up left overs from feedings I think.
Not emerald which will turn on corals. Im referring to carribean Blue leg hermits

Theyre About the size of a pea
1617145329951.png

OutLawX77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well its ur tank.
but thats like saying tap water will work to...
not being rude just honest. I've seen resin dissolve in salt tanks. Its a cheepy china decoration for a kids fresh water tank.
but be my guest. We have spent a lot of money to keep this hobie going as you stated your new to this.
We don't know anything about the water used how it was cycled, light timings, feeding, filtering, to many verritbiles better to start with the basics, Then have you add to the bioload and poof it's all up in green smoke.
So Cclranger Tell us about the tank size, equip. being used. the water you used ..how you cycled the tank...lights cycle
you know the boring stuff.

Back