New Tank Advice

scubalauren

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cool Octagone Aquarium that i finally talked my mother into giving me. It's probably 25 gallons. I would like to turn it into a salt water tank for either sea horses or clowns and anenomes. With minimal space underneath in the stand is there some kind of back hanging sump and pump that can be used. What would you recommend?

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know 8Ball had one of these and I think he made a sump for it. I want to say that John has one up at Coral Reef Aquatics that he uses for mushrooms/ricordia and seahorses and pipefish.

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's seahorses, you need to keep it cooler than you would your main tank. Tied to the main system it would probably overheat the seahorses.

Anenomes need good light and you'll have to be careful with the temp again due to the size of the tank, it could overheat quickly and would probably need to be tied it in with a bigger system... if only to share the thermal load.

I like the seahorse idea, but suggest you travel to Athens and CRA and look at his, it will give you a couple ideas. Or search around for 8Ball's setup (he was using it for a eel last I heard).

KingRicky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's seahorses, you need to keep it cooler than you would your main tank. Tied to the main system it would probably overheat the seahorses.

Anenomes need good light and you'll have to be careful with the temp again due to the size of the tank, it could overheat quickly and would probably need to be tied it in with a bigger system... if only to share the thermal load.

I like the seahorse idea, but suggest you travel to Athens and CRA and look at his, it will give you a couple ideas. Or search around for 8Ball's setup (he was using it for a eel last I heard).

Your right Gary, didn't think of the temp difference. 8Ball made a really cool octagon sump for his. There was a thread when he was trying to sell it. I don't know if he still has it or not.

gnoles

Equipment Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish that he lived closer so I could talk him into coming to a meeting here. A wealth of information and all around great guy. Going to his house causes tank envy. You think I'm gadget intense... he caused it!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 47 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back