New tank and just found aptasia please help!

OP
OP
C

CierraBeckwith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd pull the rocks you added with aiptasia and deal with them out of the tank. If you have a spare tank to QT those rocks for a bit to ensure no more appear, that would be ideal. I'd also consider just scrapping them and getting some new live or dry rock. There's just no way I'm starting a brand new system with aiptasia. Various aiptasia eating creatures can work, but adding animals that weren't necessarily in the plan isn't ideal.
That's exactly what I was thinking, and I ended up just pulling the rocks with the aptasia and just added some new cycled rocks I got from a LFS :)

OP
OP
C

CierraBeckwith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP if you are really worried about a few little aptasia now you're going to have a rough first year with the ugly stages. Just hit em with aptasia x and they will be gone but will always return sooner or later. It's just part of reefing unless maybe you have a good fish that eats them.
uglies I'm prepared for and expecting, aptasia I wasn't expecting so soon in. My almost 3 year old tank hasn't ever had it. Which is why I made this post and went to my LFS because this is my first time ever having aptasia in any tank I own. Everyone was a beginner at one point :) and my first year will be rough because I'm trying to find out how to deal with aptasia? I was mainly concerned about removing the cycled rocks but I solved my problem by getting new ones.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I was thinking, and I ended up just pulling the rocks with the aptasia and just added some new cycled rocks I got from a LFS :)
Good call. Not sure what some others are talking about here. Nobody wants to start a brand new system with aiptasia and with no livestock, this was by far the easiest and most efficient way to deal with it. You just have to keep a close eye and make sure it didn't already spread to your remaining rock.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uglies I'm prepared for and expecting, aptasia I wasn't expecting so soon in. My almost 3 year old tank hasn't ever had it. Which is why I made this post and went to my LFS because this is my first time ever having aptasia in any tank I own. Everyone was a beginner at one point :) and my first year will be rough because I'm trying to find out how to deal with aptasia? I was mainly concerned about removing the cycled rocks but I solved my problem by getting new ones.
Best of luck, hope it works out for you. I'm quite confident aptasia will visit you again. Natural methods such as peppermint shrimp, berghia or file fish would be my suggestion.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back