new tank anemone problems need help

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys not sure whats going, so i started up my 75gallon tank about 5 months ago cycle went through probably twice cause i had algae problems then i ran into what i think was dinos very bubbly stringy algae on my rocks glass sand i kept filtering it out siphoning and adding microbacter7 and it finally died off but ive been losing all my anemones i had 8 now im down to 3 1 is doing " Okayish " the clowns are housing it and stressing it alittle too much so not sure itll make it long...

the others where all on the same rock i removed them spread them around the tank now they just disappearing and dying off
im having some heating issues jumping around 75-78 nights it gets too cold in my downstairs so the heater isnt holding it enough
my salinity is steady 1.025ish
ammonia 0
nitrate 0-10
nitrite 0
phosphates " api " lowest color so who really knows "
calcium 380ish
alk 8ish ive been dosing my PH cause its 7.8 to try and keep up but still issues waiting on kalk to start dosing alittle

have some hammers which are doing okayish
mushrooms all looking really good along with zaos which are doing semi ok
but green star polyp isnt fully opening i noticed
im running my lights pretty low due to the algae blooms i have them on a ramp up over 30 days so
anyone got any ideas? too much swings? not enough nutrients?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They need light for zooxanthellae which makes up most of their food source. Too much water flow causes them stress and places them into hiding
Same with too much light
Moderate light and water flow is ideal for them
Feed them mysis shrimp 2x per week

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need light for zooxanthellae which makes up most of their food source. Too much water flow causes them stress and places them into hiding
Same with too much light
Moderate light and water flow is ideal for them
Feed them mysis shrimp 2x per week
yah thats what ive been doing 2 of the anemones lost that slime hold so when push mysis at them they wont hold on to it think their dying ill increase the light change the flow and hope for the best.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
yah thats what ive been doing 2 of the anemones lost that slime hold so when push mysis at them they wont hold on to it think their dying ill increase the light change the flow and hope for the best.
Drop it on their tentacles. If they draw it in- good. If not, look at water quality
Swings with salinity, alk, ca, temperature and ph don’t sit well with them

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop it on their tentacles. If they draw it in- good. If not, look at water quality
Swings with salinity, alk, ca, temperature and ph don’t sit well with them
yup salinity and temp are my issues they swing constantly waiting on my auto refill to come in mine broke.,.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A daily 3 degree swing is not your issue. Forget the temp as being one of the problems.

My tanks swings as much as 10 degrees daily in the summer.

What type of Nem's are we talking about here? Rock flowers, BTA's, LTA's......?

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When your API test kit runs out get something better for nitrates and phosphates like Hanna, Nyos, RedSea or Salifert. Some images of the anemones might be helpful?
yah i know hanna was alittle out of my price range but ima definitely get some soon ill update images when i get home tonight

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A daily 3 degree swing is not your issue. Forget the temp as being one of the problems.

My tanks swings as much as 10 degrees daily in the summer.

What type of Nem's are we talking about here? Rock flowers, BTA's, LTA's......?
hey bud their rainbow bubble tips i had them in a biocube for 2 years got 11 from 1 never had issues once i got them into this tank its been declining i had algae problems so i was dosing microbacter 7 to stop it which it did but the anemones kept declining mostly the tenicles would be thin not opened much so i thought maybe too much light cause issues with the algae so i reduced my lights

my temp swings only 2-4 degrees if that
my salinity isnt super stable i have alot of evap and dont have a auto refill setup yet so i keep adding water every other day
other then that i dont see whats causing issues my mushrooms hammers zoas doing good
my green star polyp arent opening up mush either so something is off or the tank is just too young

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino's depending on the strain, can be very toxic.

If your only topping off every other day, your salinity is not super stable. My ATO goes off every few hours, if not every hour, sometimes several times an hour, not once every 48.

First thing I would do is invest in some better test kits. Salifert is cheap, and reliable. For the low ranges of PO4 we like to keep in a reef, nothing can compare to the URL checker from hanna. But for the time being, salifert will give you a better ida of whats going on with your tank.

Not saying any of that could be your issue, but it might be contributing.

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dino's depending on the strain, can be very toxic.

If your only topping off every other day, your salinity is not super stable. My ATO goes off every few hours, if not every hour, sometimes several times an hour, not once every 48.

First thing I would do is invest in some better test kits. Salifert is cheap, and reliable. For the low ranges of PO4 we like to keep in a reef, nothing can compare to the URL checker from hanna. But for the time being, salifert will give you a better ida of whats going on with your tank.

Not saying any of that could be your issue, but it might be contributing.
yah i definitely will you think the salinity stability will play a major role in the anemone?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I doubt your swinging that much(how much are you having to add to the biocube(29G?) every other day?), it very well could be.

Every little thing that doesn't promote stability, could be a cause.

Delloman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get this and put a "tank" of some kind above it you have ato for cheep your tank can be anything with a hole to gravity feed water out.
ZAOJIAO Auto-top-Off ATO Solution Auto Water Filler Adjustable Float Valve Mounting for Aquarium Sump

Or this Is a lesser option
Clscea Aquarium Auto Top Off System Water Filler Compensator White

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get this and put a "tank" of some kind above it you have ato for cheep your tank can be anything with a hole to gravity feed water out.
ZAOJIAO Auto-top-Off ATO Solution Auto Water Filler Adjustable Float Valve Mounting for Aquarium Sump

Or this Is a lesser option
Clscea Aquarium Auto Top Off System Water Filler Compensator White

yah i was thinking the same thing but i got myself a tunze auto refill hopefully itll be good enough ill have it setup this weekend ill do a few water changes through out the week aswell help the tank stabilize and hope for the best...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back