New tank aquascape

MKS

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi all,

Setting up my first reef tank since I was a teenager (awhile ago . . .) -- it's a Red Sea E-170 Max. Would appreciate any thoughts on the aquascape. I tried to take photos from a few angles. Thanks so much!

IMG_2837.jpg IMG_2838.jpg IMG_2839.jpg

First Choice

WIReefer

Taking it day by day
View Badges
Reaction score
Congrats on the new tank! I think it looks great would just make sure you can fit a scraper for your glass between that small rock on the right.

Victor8923

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
About how many lbs of rock did you use ? Have the same setup and trying it estimate how much rock to get ?

OP
M

MKS

View Badges
Reaction score
About how many lbs of rock did you use ? Have the same setup and trying it estimate how much rock to get ?
I got a 55lb box of real reef mixed rock, which honestly seemed like too much — a decent amount left in the box. I think I could have gotten away with 40. Good luck!

AS

Rincon_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Looks great! Looks like you got the rocks down below the sand, which comes in handy. Did you use carib sea? I used similar looking rock and that's what it was. Only input would be to move what looks to be a free floating rock up into the corner so you have some clearance between the glass. Nice work!

OP
M

MKS

View Badges
Reaction score
Where did you order from
BRS I think? Or marine depot—I think one (or both) was having a Black Friday sale when I ordered. I just got a box of the mixed sized pieces, which was easy, but fwiw I think I’d probably get a smaller box of mixed pieces and then some of the shelves or other shapes for some variety. I took to the box I got with a hammer to get different sized pieces, but I am neither artistic nor handy enough to manipulate the rocks beyond breaking them up and then gluing big chunks together.

OP
M

MKS

View Badges
Reaction score
Looks great! Looks like you got the rocks down below the sand, which comes in handy. Did you use carib sea? I used similar looking rock and that's what it was. Only input would be to move what looks to be a free floating rock up into the corner so you have some clearance between the glass. Nice work!
Thanks! I used real reef rock, which I think looks similar to the Carib sea. After filling it up a few of the smaller rocks have moved a skosh to accommodate cleaning.

Victor8923

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
BRS I think? Or marine depot—I think one (or both) was having a Black Friday sale when I ordered. I just got a box of the mixed sized pieces, which was easy, but fwiw I think I’d probably get a smaller box of mixed pieces and then some of the shelves or other shapes for some variety. I took to the box I got with a hammer to get different sized pieces, but I am neither artistic nor handy enough to manipulate the rocks beyond breaking them up and then gluing big chunks together.
Did you super glue?

Fritz

Are you currently housing your most favorite fish ever?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 122 32.5%
  • No

Votes: 245 65.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.1%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
CS