New tank avoiding algae

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to reiterate starting with live rock. I have always stated with live rock. I had the uglies, short duration and easily handled. My tank is over 2 years old, I have never had the dreaded dinos. Don’t get me wrong, dry scapes are beautiful but look at all the threads asking for help with explosive algae problems and they are tanks started with dry rock. I can’t recall a similar thread where someone was complaining with a tank full of live rock. As cuc , besides what is mentioned above I would recommend dwarf red and blue legged hermits, mine have never killed a snail and an emerald crab.

MaineReefer85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the dry rock vs wet rock debate I would research on your own to see the pros and cons on both side
Great Advice! Somehow Buying Sterile, then buying life in a bottle became the norm! IMHO Liverock brings ya all the goodies. Ya there's hitchhikers. Likely nothing that's gonna hurt the tank.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo you can't avoid it and copepods weren't the magic bullet I was expecting. In order to avoid the worst types of issues, (dinoflagellates), I'd refrain from using ANY nutrient reduction until your nitrates and phosphates are measurable, 10 & 0.1 would be good. This means no skimming, fuge or mechanical filtration.

Screwby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 15-gallon tank can recommend what I have.

1 Tiger sand conch: will keep your sand bed clean
1 Mexican turbo snail: eats green hair algae
3 Astera snail: eat algae the turbo snail can't get to since they're smaller
2 Nassarius snail: will eat food on the sand bed

I also have a tuxedo sea urchin because I like them. I wouldn't recommend early on cause they need a decent amount of food. You can supplement by adding more turbo snails. I personally avoid hermit crabs because they will kill the snails for their shells.

The biggest tip is to go SLOW and add more if you need to supplement more, if they starve and die you will end up with more algae. Additionally, during water changes get an old toothbrush and scrub some parts down. Being diligent will take you a long way.

An additional tip when acclimating the snails for the snail get a toothbrush and scrub their shells for algae and aiptasia.
I have an Aquatop 24g AIO system. I had fish only tanks many years ago, but this is my first time trying a reef system. I have a mixed CUC, and not the best at regular water changes, lol.
Yes, the crabs will fight with each other and I replace as needed. I try to keep some empty shells also.
My tank has been running 1.5 years. The tuxedo urchin and nassarius snails I added after about 3-4 months.
I try and keep the front and 2 sides clean, but never clean the back wall of the tank. The hair algae comes and goes, but it's food for the CUC.

10-15 mix of blue leg and red leg hermit crabs (the tiny ones... not scarlet)
3 Nassarius snails (live in the sand and come put when I feed}
3 cerith snails
3 bumblebee snails (carnivores and prey on vermeted snails)
tuxedo urchin (loves coralline algae)
5-10 astrea snails
5-10 trochus snails

Dave101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I am going to be setting up my first tank soon, it is only going to have fish in for a while so I am trying to avoid algae so the tank always looks good. Is there anyway to avoid any algae ? Or ways of minimising it
Everyone goes throught the Ugly phrase which is the algae. But you can cut it down by keeping the lights off for the 1st 3 months and keep phos & nitrates
Hi everyone, I am going to be setting up my first tank soon, it is only going to have fish in for a while so I am trying to avoid algae so the tank always looks good. Is there anyway to avoid any algae ? Or ways of minimising iti ha

Hi everyone, I am going to be setting up my first tank soon, it is only going to have fish in for a while so I am trying to avoid algae so the tank always looks good. Is there anyway to avoid any algae ? Or ways of minimising it
I have been lucky for right now. This is my second reef tank where I have no algae but I am wanting for it to come. 2nd tank is only 4 months old. I keep the lights off for the 1st 3 1/2months. Also keep nitrates and phos low. The 1st time see any algae, then it will be time to buy some snails. Also do WEEKLY water changes.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods + a diverse and large clean up crew + fish that eat algae if you have room for them

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, unless you don't run lights.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep lights off during cycle, then add macro algae when you begin to ramp up the lighting. Something like red gracilaria or caulerpa prolifera would be great. They will grow and out compete the less desirable algae. Just be careful not to let nitrates and phosphates bottom out. Test your water often after your cycle

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back