New tank, back in to reefing, flow questions!

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a 36" x 18" x 18" planning to go SPS dominant barebottom with the BRS hybrid design in mind.

I have an Apex already from five or six years ago, and I'm settled in most of my equipment except for flow. I had thought I would run Neptune WAV pumps since I already have the controller, but I'm not sure I could trust just two powerheads to keep the rear of the rock and the bottom clear. Add to that the lack of battery backup options and now I'm second guessing. I could add a third WAV pump along the back but with a central overflow it would really only clean one side, and four WAV pumps seems ridiculous.

I'm not sure I need to go with something like two MP40s and MP10s either since that also seems like overkill for a 50g display. Not sure what other options I have considering I'd like pump control from the Apex for things like feeding modes and monitoring.

I think that gyre pumps might work for the full tank flow solution but it's unclear which pumps can be used with Apex control.

I'd love some advice, so much has changed in the last five years!

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyre pumps can be controlled with the Apex. The module is made by Icecap and can be easily found on most major retailers.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back